Piko SmartControl WLAN new for 2023

New from Piko's SmartControl range for 2023 is a set featuring a wireless handset.

https://www.piko-shop.de/en/artikel/piko-basis-set-smartcontrol-wlan-37164.html

The English page there is light on detail (edit, it's actually copy and pasted from the SmartControlLight), so I've thrown the page of this year's catalogue through Google Translate:

• Ergonomic hand controller: Model railway operation should be fun! That is why good and

long-lasting usability of the hand controller is important! The PIKO SmartControlleran has exactly

the right shape and an ideally balanced weight for optimal gaming fun! With a user-friendly

arrangement of the operating elements and a sensitive, robust control dial, up to 69 special

locomotive functions can be conveniently switched.

• Graphic color display: A display must provide all the necessary information in an

easy-to-read manner. With the graphic color display of the PIKO SmartController, all

relevant

data can be read optimally even in difficult lighting conditions.

• Plug and Play: The logical structure of PIKO SmartControlan enables easy, timely

proper installation and use. This also arises from the use of several hand controllers

untroubled fun from the very first moment!

• WLAN hand controller: The updateable WLAN hand controller automatically connects to the

control center after switching on and thus offers wireless handling with a large range. •

Several locomotives can be controlled individually at the same time: It's fun to run several locomotives

at the same time. PIKO SmartControl has a max. output current of 2 A so that the control center

does not run out of breath right away. If the system grows, there is the option of adding

suitable PIKO boosters.

• Full DCC compatibility with RailCom and RailCom Plus®: Open communication is important

to us! That is why PIKO SmartControlan has full DCC compatibility for all locomotive

addresses with all locomotive functions. Suitable vehicles register automatically

via RailCom Plus® and can be operated immediately!

Extensive locomotive database: Many locomotive data sets can be saved.

• Switch accessories: Turnouts and signals can of course also be operated with PIKO

SmartControl. There are hardly any limits here, since the accessories (including multiple

terms) can be switched in an address space from 1 to 2048.

• Routes (only with #55821): An initial automation of the driving operation is also possible

with PIKO SmartControlar! The accessories can be grouped in up to 18 logical units

with 9 switching commands each and pause times can also be added to the sequences.

• Main track and programming track output: These are set up separately, so that programming

processes are also possible independently of the model railway layout, for

example at a desk, whereby the popular main track programming (POM) can also be used during

train operation.

• Short-circuit protection: Operational safety is important! And should something happen

anyway, the PIKO SmartControlan digital center has a short-circuit protection.

Have fun with the new PIKO SmartControlar digital center!

At €249 RRP it seems reasonable value.  It's also to be available in train sets which start at €259.  I don't know what it offers in compatability with the existing SmartControlLight handset or whether it has any kind of PC interface, just what I've quoted above.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 2

• Taigatrommel changed the title to Piko SmartControl WLAN new for 2023

I see that they are introducing 13 different train sets, complete with this WLAN version of the SmartControl light…and have reduced the number of train sets with the tethered SmartControl light, to just 5.

It’s just possible that the tethered version may be on the way out, in favour of the new wireless system.

The dealers who split these digital train sets and sell the contents in separate lots, will have a field day with this.

2 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The dealers who split these digital train sets and sell the contents in separate lots, will have a field day with this.

I'm all for that where it means better prices on individual items to the customer and a bit of extra profit for the retailer.  If it turns out that the command station does have a Loconet socket, I'll be canvassing my H0 modelling friends to see if any want to do a split on a set.  The V200 and Silberlinge set is very nice!

• Like 1