RP25 Wheelset sources

torikoos

Hi all, aside from North American suppliers do any of you know of any other sources that can supply RP25 (either 'standard', or RP25/110  RP25/88 ) wheel sets here in the UK?  They seem few and far between...

Specifically I'm looking for wheels that have an approx 11.5mm diameter and a 2mm shaft.  I don't mind if they are isolated on one side or both, but I don't need/want split axle designs.  

These are needed to fit new wheels to a few ROCO locomotives, that have the larger (but not quite) pizza cutter flanges.  I'm happy to use a puller to remove wheels from a shaft and refit them to this loco.

I have been looking at the DCC concept wheel sets, that make a couple of different sizes, not quite the size I need but I could get away with the 12mm version as the models I need them for currently have 11.5mm wheels. 

What isn't mentioned at DCC concepts is the shaft diameter, if those are only 1.5mm then they would be too small, but if 2mm then they should be a good fit. 

Thanks for the help on these. 

If no replacements turn up and you're happy(?) with pulling off/pushing back on axles, why not test one axle with ... a borrowed miniature lathe or as it's only(!) flange-work a good drill in a horizontal or even vertical stand.  Yeah, yeah, usual problems: are the files new (sharp and swarf-free), is there a gear on the disassembled wheelset axle 'in the way' (go more carefully - don't get bored), how do you turn the other wheel?  Get as long a 2mm hex-head bolt as you can find and packet of 2mm screws (internet - common size), screw some of the nuts up really tight and in-line against the bolt head, this bit gets held in the lathe or drill bit and the wheel is 'clamped' tightly between 2 more bolts, maybe with washers.  You've guessed the rest and I have to admit I'm an O-scaler so I have to be careful or else the bug****d wheelset costs a lot compared with you luck (?) lot.

What are the vehicles you want to change the wheels on? I've changed almost all my European outline wagon wheels using either Gibson lowmac wheels, GRS replacement wheels or RP25 wheel sets from an eBay supplier in Germany. The latter source doesn't advertise on eBay anymore but Luck Feinmechanik have been recommended by other RM Webbers.

I've also changed the wheels on a diesel and electric locos using variously Hornby and Bachmann disc wheels on the original axles as well as Black Beetle wheels when they were available. 

Edited by doctor quinn