Bestwood Colliery and Iron Foundry

The colliery opened in the 1870s..... A deep mine down at the Barnsley Hard Coal seam level.

The first winding engine House and tower built still remains and is open to the public for their inspection and wonder.

Nearby by is the dynamo house which once housed electricity generating machinery. Now it is a visitor centre serving tea and very nice home made cakes.

Bestwood Colliery id s record holder the first mine to dig out one million tons of coal in a year in 1952 first in the world.

Closed by 1970

A busy rail system around the site once served it, supplying equipment and taking away coal.

In the Engine House is a model railway depicting it to a scale of very very tiny, gauge of about 4 mm with little carved steam locos and wagons.

Overall it is about 8 ft long which is about just over one fathom in metric.

It is encased in a perspex box, other acrylic materials are available which gives the photos a bit of a foggy look. Or it could be industrial smog of the steam and coal age or a model version there of contained inside the perspex box?

The website is here; http://www.fbcp.org.uk/dynamo-house.html

Bird's eye views below.

IMGP0219a.JPG.d66962dd75e0413403c1a399ee815313.JPG

Rails are metal and about 4mm gauge, seems to be commercial track is it T Gauge?

IMGP0233a.JPG.74e5fe13a462d31c0ee74be4caf3959c.JPG

Winding engines and towers and screens and wagon loading area.

IMGP0234a.JPG.4f06998d05a75b47b21fb8bf1cd1f469.JPG

Everything is gone and is now a grassy park. Except the tall three storey engine house and winding tower and wheels at the back.

IMGP0249a.JPG.c0811c9f5168115f24467cc0a9e7504a.JPG

Edited by relaxinghobby
correction
  • Like 1

Outstanding. I guess this is about 1:300 scale or 1mm to the foot. 

Nano technology required for a dead scale model of Wheldale or Ackton Hall?

Seriously, I assume this model has some age. Image what could be.achieved with modern 3D printing.

Edited by doilum
  • Agree 1