Short Coal Trains

Jonof1994

Hello,

I'm currently working on plans for my shortline, a "what if" based on if the Illinois Terminal RR hadn't been absorbed into Norfolk Southern, 

I'm planning to have a small paper mill which receives coal for power but only in small loads of up to ten hoppers at a time, does anyone know of a prototype of short coal trains? I'm really struggling to find any prototypes.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Hi 

The Nov 1997 edition of Continental Modeller had an article about a NS branch line that delivered coal in short trains ( 8 cars) to the University of North Carolina in Carrboro. The article included a track plan of the branch which also served some other industries.

Hope this helps.

Regards 

Nick 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jonof1994 said:

Hello,

I'm currently working on plans for my shortline, a "what if" based on if the Illinois Terminal RR hadn't been absorbed into Norfolk Southern, 

I'm planning to have a small paper mill which receives coal for power but only in small loads of up to ten hoppers at a time, does anyone know of a prototype of short coal trains? I'm really struggling to find any prototypes.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Hi Jon, my guess is the final cut of 10 cars might be delivered to the plant by a local or a switching turn, not a dedicated coal train?

Of course, on many model railroads, trains are often only 10 cars long (or less) anyway.  Just a thought, Keith.

Coal was allowed to be in other trains.  Most short cuts of coal were spotted by the local that switched the rest of industries.  The coal cars were just another car to be spotted, no need to make a special move with just coal cars.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1