Tendring

Izzy

Years ago I was brought up on layouts built from 2 x 1 timber and Sundeala tops but have now come round to foamboard (which I assumw is pretty much what you are using) reinforced with thinner wood.  I also use trestles for support rather than being reliant on my abillity (or lack thereof) to cut legs of the same length.  I've decided that the current layout will be my last but aim to built diorame type displays which I can have in the house rather than the shed and I think a lightweight foamboard structure would be ideal for this, so it's interesting to see what you are doing  I am coming to prefer 'Railways in the Landscape' to seeing how much track will fit in a given space, so again can go with lighter structures.

Where I worked in the 80s we had shares in various Statutory Water Companies including the Tendring Hundred concern.  You could perhaps add an intteresting cameo with one of their vans parked up whilst the crew investigate a leak, which would give more local context.

• RMweb Premium

Bob,

I'm puzzled about how you work the maltings siding. I can see how the sand and general goods sidings could be worked but the maltings has got me stumped. Reminds me of the mill siding at Ashburton . . .

David

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Bob,

I'm puzzled about how you work the maltings siding. I can see how the sand and general goods sidings could be worked but the maltings has got me stumped. Reminds me of the mill siding at Ashburton . . .

David

Yes... it's a kick back off the siding that runs behind the platform. I'll try and find a shot or two to illustrate, I think I've got some.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

The bare boards with track laid and working. Shows the simple track layout.

347096939_RMwebTendring020.jpg.d6f1a227d4f9e62121c483b7e747676b.jpg

And with perhaps a bit more stock than might be normal! The Class 15 working the maltings, grain being loaded into the wagons via the auger. So moving the wagons a bit at a time to enable this. A Class 24 passing through with a stopping passenger train, a Clacton to Ipswich service perhaps which had the line been built would have been possible. (The impact the line may have had on Stour valley traffic might have been substantial). While a Class 31 is on the afternoon sand train.

1041609366_RMwebTendring021.jpg.a06ad70f109f3051cf505786a5dfa705.jpg

Having to access the 'back' siding meaning the gates must be closed to road traffic is awkward but probably did exist in places in real life.

Bob

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Bob. When I asked about operating the maltings siding it was based on what happened to the brake van. Your photograph provides the simple answer; leave it on the approach line while you shunt the siding. Obvious when you see it!

The photograph really is East Anglian diesel heaven - Class 15, Class 24 and Class 31.

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

Thanks, Bob. When I asked about operating the maltings siding it was based on what happened to the brake van. Your photograph provides the simple answer; leave it on the approach line while you shunt the siding. Obvious when you see it!

The photograph really is East Anglian diesel heaven - Class 15, Class 24 and Class 31.

David

Thanks David, pleased you like it. It was this kind of scene I wanted to replicate with my 2FS layouts.

At first with the maltings working I tried running into the station, from Mistley so through the crossing, drop the BV, reverse back again through the crossing and then enter the back road. Then do this in reverse. This meant the crossing either had to be open/closed twice for each move or left closed (to road traffic) for long periods, which I thought wouldn't happen in real life. So then I got the idea the train would stop as it reached the box, get the road and go straight in. Once done of course it still has to reverse out and enter the loop to run round and put the BV on the rear. But doing it this way also meant the trap had to be added into the line. I had read somewhere that any siding like this with a turnout that can act as the trap needs a 'proper' trap if it is possible to leave a piece of rolling stock at any time between the turnout and the mainline, as happens with the BV.

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony. Do I take it this was EDME? Seems most of the orignal maltings have now been turned into flats or knocked down and replaced by more modern buildings and processes as per your post.

My excuse for the small one on Tendring is that Robert Free, who was a pioneer maltster and built all those at Mistley and also at Thorpe, started another set at Tendring with the intention another would join it behind the back road....but never did. I'm full of excuses....!

Bob

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Tony. Do I take it this was EDME? Seems most of the orignal maltings have now been turned into flats or knocked down and replaced by more modern buildings and processes as per your post.

My excuse for the small one on Tendring is that Robert Free, who was a pioneer maltster and built all those at Mistley and also at Thorpe, started another set at Tendring with the intention another would join it behind the back road....but never did. I'm full of excuses....!

Bob

Hi Bob

This is Bairds at Witham. It's right next to the railway (the sat-nav actually took me to the wrong side of the station!) but I think the size and nature of the some of these new plants defies any reasonable chance of modelling them. The passenger station at Witham looked very attractive from a modelling perspective. EDME have/had a very nice building, but it's a to work in. Is Crisp Maltings in Mistley still on the go?

I think your representation of a smaller older plant is rather appropriate for a layout and very attractive. Well done!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Yorkshire Square said:

Hi Bob

This is Bairds at Witham. It's right next to the railway (the sat-nav actually took me to the wrong side of the station!) but I think the size and nature of the some of these new plants defies any reasonable chance of modelling them. The passenger station at Witham looked very attractive from a modelling perspective. EDME have/had a very nice building, but it's a to work in. Is Crisp Maltings in Mistley still on the go?

I think your representation of a smaller older plant is rather appropriate for a layout and very attractive. Well done!

Hi Tony,

Yes Witham would be a good basis for a model of the GE mainline if you have the space what with the branches going off to both Braintree and Maldon and the overtrack station buildings. IIRC the latter used to curve around or in front of the Bairds site on it's way south and past the goods yard.

As my in-laws lived in Mistley for around 30 years I used to be quite familiar with EMDE but haven't now been over there for a couple of years. They do seem to have works on both sides of the line similar to Bairds now and the old malting building by the quay at Swan basin, the last one not converted to flats, has been demolished to be replaced by new flats, although the landmark chimmney remains as does the malting smell which I quite like but I know many don't.

Agree the new silos etc. aren't as easy to reproduce in a small size really. That's often the problem with small layouts like this I find, trying to get the balance between a useable size that doesn't look silly. I'm really grateful you think I've managed that as other peoples views and perspective is highly valuable when you're a lone modeller so thanks.

Bob

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2023 at 17:39, DavidLong said:

David

I would very highly recommend the Transport Video Publishing (TVP) DVD "Pick Up Freight".  It's a fascinating glimpse into traditional era branch line freight operations.
https://railwayrecollections.com/shop/price-range/15-00-19-99/pick-up-freight-dvd/

The nice thing about East Anglia is that is was quite extensively dieselised before the Beeching cuts so became a steam era railway operated by some of more interesting early diesel classes. Fortunately extensively covered by Dr. Ian Allen's photos, as in this book
https://www.booklaw.co.uk/transport-treasury/first-generation-diesels-in-east-anglia.html

"Diesels In East Anglia" is also very worthwhile and not that expensive as a used book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesels-East-Anglia-Ian-Allen/dp/0860931056

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of books I've found very useful are these:

1820210787_RMwebTendring022.jpg.4fc6fe7eb0dd1e340ae400929af51033.jpg

Ian Allan ISBN 978-0-7110-3264-4

2031290165_RMwebTendring023.jpg.29d851aee80f7300bef5ae79d66c7b17.jpg

A wide selection in green & blue from Kings Cross up to Lincolnshire and covering such as this, a 31 at Hadleigh, a 21 at Eye with wooden bodied wagons, and a 24 at Framlingham along with plenty of mainline and DMU. Being full colour thoughout is very helpful.

This is just B&W but covers both steam and diesel and depicts what Mark refers to in respect of nothing changing except diesel replacing steam.

1021371097_RMwebTendring024.jpg.35ab65cfcd0ab49139880430d643dfd3.jpg

Amberley Pub. ISBN 978-1-4456-4827-9

Bob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tendering has now appeared in MRJ 298 thanks to Jerry (Queensquare) along with a separate article on some of the diesel era rolling stock that is used on it for anyone interested. Some different shots to those here I think.

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob

just wanted to say how interesting and informative I found both your MRJ articles. It was nice to see  the evolution through the roundy-roundy and Priory Rd to Tendring and also to follow the development of your diesel modelling from rewheeling through to scratchbuilds. I for one really appreciate you taking the tine to produce and share the articles. You didn’t cover the 309 but it’s a thing of beauty!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Jim T said:

Hi Bob

just wanted to say how interesting and informative I found both your MRJ articles. It was nice to see  the evolution through the roundy-roundy and Priory Rd to Tendring and also to follow the development of your diesel modelling from rewheeling through to scratchbuilds. I for one really appreciate you taking the tine to produce and share the articles. You didn’t cover the 309 but it’s a thing of beauty!

Thanks Jim I’m glad you liked them. My hope is that they might help encourage more modellers to dip their toes into the 2mm/2FS world. As for the 309’s, well I agree and although I’ve done a bit about them on my Priory Road thread perhaps it’s a case of watch this space ….

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jim T said:

Hi Bob

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks

Thanks Jim I’m glad you liked them. My hope is that they might help encourage more modellers to dip their toes into the 2mm/2FS world. As for the 309’s, well I agree and although I’ve done a bit about them on my Priory Road thread perhaps it’s a case of watch this space ….

Bob

I’ve received lots of positive feedback about Bob’s articles in MRJ and I’ve asked if he would do a follow up to the diesels article on the 309 emu

Jerry

• Like 6