New Heljan Class 35 Lighting Question

JST

I have just bought a new Heljan Hymek (the one with the 21 pin DCC socket) and have a bit of an issue with the lighting.

F0 turns the head code lighting on and it changes ends as it should when you change direction - all good so far. F5 turns on one tail light which stays on regardless of direction (which may be correct) but I cannot find any function key to turn on the other tail light or the cab lights. The instructions with the model are about as illuminating as the cab lights!

The decoder I am using is a Lenz Silver (until a Zimo MS440 turns up). I have checked the wiring to the lights which seems OK and there is no voltage at the relevant points on the loco circuit board for the cab lights or one tail light when they are theoretically turned on. The DC switches on the board are all "on".  Any ideas?

Cheers

For the record, the loco runs really well!

Just a thought, but does the Lenz Silver have enough function outputs to work all of the Hymek's lights separately? My quick Googling suggests it has four functions, whereas I count a minimum of six required for the separate lighting you have. That's two for the directional headcode lights, two for the tail lights, and two more for the cab lights, assuming they are separate for each end.

I was going to say the same - does the Lenz Silver have enough outputs ?  I thought it had five function outputs, not six. 

And second question is the model wired for "normal power functions" or Marklin style logic-level for the outputs F03/F04 (Zimo numbering convention) ?   

- Nigel

56 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

And second question is the model wired for "normal power functions" or Marklin style logic-level for the outputs F03/F04 (Zimo numbering convention) ?   

- Nigel

I don't know Nigel. I will ask Heljan.

Just had a swift response from Heljan:-

"Dear Mr Tidmarsh, Thanks for the message. The headcode panel lights, cab lights and tail lights are wired on separate functions, requiring six functions. If the tail light remains 'on' at all times it may be faulty as it should be possible to switch this off at each end. The functions we specified to the factory are as follows... F0 – Headcode panel light at front (in direction of travel) = OK F1 – No Function F2 – No Function F3 – Cab Light No2 end on/off = OK F4 – Cab Light No1 end on/off = OK F5 – No1 end tail light F6 – No2 end tail light We do not refer to any Maerklin or Zimo products when setting up our DCC functions. Our standard reference is ESU. Kind Regards Team Heljan"

2 hours ago, JST said:

Just had a swift response from Heljan:-

"..... We do not refer to any Maerklin or Zimo products when setting up our DCC functions. Our standard reference is ESU. "

Which hasn't answered the key question...   ESU make both Marklin (logic level "MKL") and NMRA (full voltage "NEM660") versions of their 21 pin decoders.   So which ones do Heljan say are needed ?  From that you would have the information required to specify Lenz, Zimo, Digitrax, or whatever you choose: 

59619LokPilot 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4, 21MTC NEM660   

59649LokPilot 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4, 21MTC MKL

and

58419LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4, 21MTC NEM6660   

58449LokSound 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4, 21MTC MKL

- Nigel