Non-diecast OO & HO vehicles?

PaulB85

Hi folks,

Been a while since I was active on here, my attempt at a 1/50 scale RC lorry stalled, and then life got in the way as it does. I'm tentatively thinking of having another go, but  this time I am considering either 1/76 OO or 1/87 HO (possibly both).

However, one thing I'd like to figure out before I make any decisions is what sort of models are available in these scales that are not diecast? It seems the majority of models covering the widest range of options are diecast and, to be honest, my experience of working with diecast models in the past puts me off the idea of trying it again. I would really prefer to work with plastic. It's primarily a painting issue, I have found diecast to be extremely fussy on taking a reasonable finish, where plastic is far more forgiving. I'd also consider resin or white metal, if available.

I've heard that Herpa, Siku, and a few others do make plastic models in 1/87 but when I actually find any models from these brands online which are available in the UK they seem to always be diecast. I can't seem to find any plastic 1/76 other than military multi-part kits such as Revell, Tamiya etc. (which is fine, but limits you to Scammel and Bedford lorries used during WW2).

I have a feeling this is something of a wild goose chase and I may have to figure out a way to overcome my aversion to diecast, but I thought it was worth exploring alternatives, so if anyone has any info it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by PaulB85

• RMweb Premium

I think the UK 1/76 ranges do tend to be metal in the main, whereas European 1/87 ranges tend to favour plastic. I'm sure there are probably UK 1/76 plastic models out there, but nothing springs to mind immediately. I wondered if the ones offered by Atlas Editions might be plastic, but a very quick online search suggests that their buses are die-cast the same as the Corgi models they are based on. 

If it's the actual working with metal that you're worried about, I think many of them have plastic chassis and interiors, so could you avoid doing any work on the body and just modify the chassis? I don't know about lorries, but I'm sure most die-cast buses are like that. 

What is your time period and subject matter of choice?

There are a wider range of civilian prototypes from the military model trade if you look beyond the big names. For example WD models do some subsidiary trucks that were available before WW1 and we're then both resold by the war department and continued to be made by the manufacturers for many years. The same principle applies to some vehicles every era since.

If you Google Henk of Holland. His website is an encyclopedia of the military modelling world.

There is a couple of threads in the road vehicles section of RM web that have  discussed alternate sources of OO scale vehicles. Although this does suffer the same problem of a prominence of die casting.

Are you open to 3D printing. There is starting to grow a range of vehicles available to buy ready printed, or download if you have access to a printer. 

It's not a huge range, but noticeable growing.

Again. Don't just stick to the big names like shapeways. 

1 hour ago, JDW said:

If it's the actual working with metal that you're worried about, I think many of them have plastic chassis and interiors, so could you avoid doing any work on the body and just modify the chassis? I don't know about lorries, but I'm sure most die-cast buses are like that. 

Thanks for the info! It's not so much the working with metal as I do have access to a dremel and I've done that sort of work before (though of course plastic would be far easier) but between the fact I often like to paint my models in different colours from their default, and that quite often when working on them their original finish will become compromised anyway (chips and scuffs) , I feel like some type of repaint is inevitable and I've had a terrible time of painting diecast bodies in the past. It's just something I'd rather avoid.

31 minutes ago, otherplanet said:

What is your time period and subject matter of choice?

There are a wider range of civilian prototypes from the military model trade if you look beyond the big names. For example WD models do some subsidiary trucks that were available before WW1 and we're then both resold by the war department and continued to be made by the manufacturers for many years. The same principle applies to some vehicles every era since.

If you Google Henk of Holland. His website is an encyclopedia of the military modelling world.

There is a couple of threads in the road vehicles section of RM web that have  discussed alternate sources of OO scale vehicles. Although this does suffer the same problem of a prominence of die casting.

Are you open to 3D printing. There is starting to grow a range of vehicles available to buy ready printed, or download if you have access to a printer. 

It's not a huge range, but noticeable growing.

Again. Don't just stick to the big names like shapeways. 

I'm open to 3d printing but I don't have a 3d printer and am unlikely to get one any time soon. I'm aware there are print services out there but in the past I've not been able to find much.

It's another reason I'd prefer not to go down the metal route, I'm pretty good at kit bashing stuff out of plasticard, but less so metal.

As for the period/subject I'd like to leave it pretty wide open if possible, which was one of the reasons oo/ho interested me. My main fascination is the forestry/logging industry but I enjoy every aspect of it from the UK to the US, Scandinavia, even Russia, and from the old days to modern, so I was hoping to cater to a broad spread as the mood takes me! Tangential to that I also enjoy any similar industrial plant/construction/agricultural stuff. Eventually would like to do cranes and log loaders but thinking much further down the line really.

16 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Have you had a look at this thread. Although a lot of the older photos have disappeared in the RMweb platform change mishap, it might have some leads and contacts.

Thanks for the link! I've done a bit more research and I think Wiking, Herpa, and Kibri might cover most of what I'm after, so I'll probably go down that route 🙂.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies for a late reply. If you did want to go down the OO route then the options for plastic are basically in terms of buses:

Concept models - produced a very good AEC RF and Leyland Lynx in the 1990s and these are regular shows on Ebay. They both have chassis that just unclip. These are RTR.

Tower models: The RT and Leyland National - kits, reasonably easy to do, Both on ebay today thought the National is a bit pricey.

Keil Kraft: They did a routemaster and a Green line T type coach. Both on Ebay today.

Peco does a GWR Maudley bus as well.

Any good??