2FS 45xx scratch build

stuin21990

Hi everyone, 

I'm relatively new to 2FS.

I've planned a small 'introductory' layout of which a 45xx is integral. 

I've been advised there's no available model suitable for conversion, so it's a scratch build, but a relatively suitable first scratch attempt. 

Given that I'm completely new to scratch building locomotives I'm not sure where to begin.

I do possess a small lathe and basic skills.

Any help with dimensions, plans or any relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Stu

Most people just use the Dapol body (both 4500 and 4575 versions available), together with an etched chassis. It is to 1:148 scale rather than 1:152.

Very detailed original drawing in Great Western Railway Journal Issue 16. There was also long ago a drawing by Stuart Hine on how he built his scratchbuilt 45XX. He made his own motor which you don't need to do any more.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

If you have access to the 2mm Magazine archive, the January 1962 edition has an article by Stewart Hine on building a 45xx body.  The techniques are still valid today.   It's part of a series of articles on building a 45xx, from the time in which everything was scratchbuilt.  The articles were republished by the Association as a small booklet.

David Eveleigh offers a 45xx chassis kit which is designed for the Dapol body but would equally suit a scratchbuilt body.  This might be to 1:148 scale though, giving a small discrepancy on the wheel spacing from a 2mm scale model. 

http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/davideveleigh/index.htm

• Informative/Useful 1

Stu,

I’ve been going to reply to you for a couple of weeks (either on here or the VAG), so apologies for my tardiness!

There are copies of original drawings for the class in GWRJ nos 2 & 16. No 2 shows the class pretty much as built albeit with a larger bunker.

My current project is also building a 45xx but in as built condition suitable for my circa 1906 Modbury layout. I am using a suitably modified Dapol body with a scratch built chassis.

My chassis is built “traditionally” with phosphor bronze frames and pcb spacers.  I decided not to mill one this time as there is plenty of space in the body for weight.

I am/will detailing how I did it in my Modbury thread, but my chassis builds can be somewhat organic as I tend to adapt my ideas as I progress - a case in point on this one is the need to file away almost 0.5mm from the top of the chassis to allow body to sit lower, also I now realise that my original intention of fixing motion brackets in slots in chassis is a non starter as the leading wheels preclude this. Therefore I am now considering cantilevering them from the cylinders, speaking of which I am currently hacking from solid lumps of brass!

Ian

• Like 2