Paint " A Chrome Finish"

Hi everyone,

looking for a spray paint / tin to use in my air brush, to spray some small parts that would give me a good chrome finish, what I'm trying to paint is the the following in 7mm

1) Electrical Junction Boxes

2) Hydraulic Pipe connectors

3) Window frame surrounds

I have used Tin foil to cover my Hydraulic rams which have turned out just fine.

I think they use some sort of chrome finish paint in the Model / car plane hobby not sure who is the manufacture, I have asked a couple of local traders in the area, but I just get a blank look!!!!!

I have have tried to contact all the various manufactures for the chrome paint but no joy.

But for the Window frame surrounds I have tried to use various silver paints, but it doesn't look right, not even when I have toned them down.

Any ideas

Even the paints that claim chrome finish are really aluminium, and microsols glue and foil may give a better finish, as it be buffed to get the shine.

Art shops also sell guilding foils in silver finish which are applies over a coat of varnish type glue, the microsol version will do, or an art adhesive for guilding metal. The "glue" is applied very thin, just to act as a base to get the foil to adhere.

The Art foils are extremly thin, and the technique is like gold guilding, they simply press on and rub down, and any missing patches are gone over with another piece, the overlay does not show as the metal is so thin.

However although the finish is superb, for a window frame it is going to be fiddly to do, but the finish is worth the trouble.

If you use it, don't forget the finish is only as good as the preparation, any marks under the foil will show, the surface prep has to be good and dead smooth.

Finally a coat of hard polyurethane gloss varnish is used to protect it.

Hannants are the microsol suppliers in the decal section.

Having down the years modelled many NMF aircraft I would advocate Alclad over any other technique for replicating metal finishes. I think I've tried most of the common methods of reproducing a metal finish and have come down in favouring Alclad.

A friend of mine modelled a Hawker Fury bi-plane with the engine cowling's covered with metal foil (Kit Kat wrapper shiny side up) attached with Microscale foil adhesive while he finished the radiator in Alclad chrome,the radiator ended up shinier than the engine covers! I might add he is an IPMS national winner and he does know how to put a model together.

With that in mind you may want to consider using one of the other Alclad metal finishes as chrome may be to bright I think it's more suitable for replicating the chrome trim on cars.

If you are interested in using Alclad there is a detailed article on it's application here

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Alclad.html

Malcolm

I would second the use of Alclad. It is one of those amazing items that do not impress until you have actually used it. It is the best finish I have ever seen at giving the effect of chrome. Also, their stainless steel is superb for SS clad carriages. And, unlike foil, it goes on easily without obliterating fine detail.

Another recommendation for Alclad.

It will require a good, smooth shiny black basecoat though (they also sell an excellent range of mega-fine wet and dry cloths) and can appear a little "dusty" to begin with (probably my inability to apply it correctly) but it will polish up to a stunning finish.

As already mentioned above, the chrome may be a bit bright.

regards

Stewart

Archived