Interfrigo wagon (Fleischmann 8321) legit OR NOT on a Swiss layout - have your say.

Bundah

In a box of someone's treasures I discovered this refrigerated wagon, and wonder how legitimate - or not - it might be running on a Swiss layout.

Say on a scale of 1 to 10.

I'm keen to expand my rollling stock options, and would be happy to run it if it it isn't stretching the truth too far.  Heresy, I know, and I apologise to those whom it offends.

I'd extra love if it was legit on RhB lines.

I couldn't see anything on Haribu's page in this livery, but some of the Haiqqq wagons look similar in structure.

I ask specifically as the decal on the wagon has a Swiss contact address for the (now amalgamated and renamed) international company Interfrigo.  That address is in Basel.   

The UIC code on the wagon though is 83 (Italy)  There are some source photos on the internet showing the wagon in Italy and the UK so it does look like it legitimately got around.

As usual, I'm thankful if you find some time to answer my query.

916928758_Fleisch8321.jpg.0394f1402be05d788ea9f699c22621b9.jpg

I'm not sure if these Interfrigo wagons were ever loaded onto narrow gauge trucks, but they would have passed RhB metals at Arbedo-Castione, and may have turned up at Chur too.

Here is a picture of an Interfrigo wagon at Lucerne, this one registered with SNCB (third one down, horse cart optional):

http://bahnbilder-von-max.ch/sbb/gueterwagen/index.html

Interfrigo was formed as a partnership of European rail companies in 1967, it was registered in Switzerland, but a number of national railways provided stock to the pool, and would have registered them 'at home', so an Italian or Belgian registered vehicle with a Swiss address is perfectly reasonable. 

This model pictured is a European loading gauge model, so wouldn't have been seen in the UK, but Interfrigo did own other types that were to UK gauge. I don't know how much Interfrigo wagons were pooled, but I'd suspect even if they weren't common user, an Italian van would be seen quite frequently in and passing through Switzerland (but not on the narrow gauge RhB

Jon

I recommend you steer clear of models of this type.

It is nothing like anything on the RhB I'm afraid, and even on standard gauge 1:160 9mm) these models are generic at best

In the 1960s - 80s all the main N gauge manufacturers (Lima, Arnold, Minitrix, Fleischmann produced wagons looking like this - generic refrigerated vans with what most consider to be inaccurate shape and features.

The Basel address is the business address of the InterFrigo consortium, so not a Swiss wagon per se

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gordonwis said:

In the 1960s - 80s all the main N gauge manufacturers (Lima, Arnold, Minitrix, Fleischmann produced wagons looking like this - generic refrigerated vans with what most consider to be inaccurate shape and features.

Uncanny you should say that Gordon.  I just discovered this too in the box of treasures ... purportedly a Swiss biscuit collection. Very similar tooling, though a different manufacturer.

Swiss biscuit.jpg

• RMweb Premium

In the 1970s I had 2 Lima N gauge wagons looking very much like those in a blue “Grimsby Fish” livery. Not remotely authentic in themselves but they made up the numbers for a longer train. 

15 hours ago, Frutigen said:

In the 1970s I had 2 Lima N gauge wagons looking very much like those in a blue “Grimsby Fish” livery. Not remotely authentic in themselves but they made up the numbers for a longer train. 

Yes, that's right, the dreaded early Lima (that of the misshapen BR 2-6-4T et al) all sorts of European wagons painted up as British, although Minitrix did it as well

• 1 month later...

This has triggered a memory! Some time in, I think, the 1970s, I was travelling towards Meigle on the B954 from Dundee. There was still a remaining single-track stub, as far as Meigle, of the pre-Beeching Perth-Forfar-Aberdeen line, used in the original "Race to the North".Sitting forlornely under the bridge was a solitary Interfrigo wagon! I canon's think that it might have been in use in the local soft fruit transportation. Next time I passed, the remaining track had all been lifted. Peter F.

1 hour ago, Peter F said:

This has triggered a memory! Some time in, I think, the 1970s, I was travelling towards Meigle on the B954 from Dundee. There was still a remaining single-track stub, as far as Meigle, of the pre-Beeching Perth-Forfar-Aberdeen line, used in the original "Race to the North".Sitting forlornely under the bridge was a solitary Interfrigo wagon! I canon's think that it might have been in use in the local soft fruit transportation. Next time I passed, the remaining track had all been lifted. Peter F.

I believe the area in question was well-known for seed potato cultivation, despatching them by rail to growers around the UK by rail, into the recent past. Might what you saw be an export order?

7 hours ago, Peter F said:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2023 at 01:43, Bundah said:

purportedly a Swiss biscuit collection.

How I loathe these branded or themed wagons (and locos and coaches on occasions) that various manufacturers keep producing. 
It would be quite amusing and whimsical (if it hasn’t already been done) to produce an exhibition layout comprised of special edition models liveried to celebrate Monarchical coronations, Silver Jubilees etc, notable Railway or national anniversaries, popular TV programmes, Christmases down the years, various iterations of well know brands of cola, confectionary, spicy relish etc etc.

Actually, on reflection, that sounds a bit like the real railways these days.