A new shed layout

Backintime

Good morning everyone,

thank you all for your comments, you have certainly provided me with some food for thought and have highlighted some of the hazards along the way!

You have posed questions which have made me think about the practical requirements for operating the layout - “function over form” and that dreaded word - compromise! 

The practical aspects of building the layout, laying the track and powering it up don’t phase me, but as you guys have illustrated the initial design is not as simple as it would first seem.

Cheers 

Mark

Edited by Backintime
  • Like 5

I thought I posted on this topic but can't find it.   I would definitely want a fiddle yard or hidden sidings on this size of layout and would be wary of up and down gradients as  it's likely you would have to drive the trains continuously or they will stall on the up grades and race down again.   I would put the station on the lift out or lifting section. we have one on our layout quite successfully for 30 years, just don't have any sidings on the lift out.

My take on how to use this space, basically with DCC in mind ,drawn with Anyrail Peco Streamline points  is below.   Junction and BLT  /Branch for 2 coach trains , Branch gradient around 1 in 24. starts at green mark and climbs behind FY  Branch station needs to lift off to get to derailments under.  Not many sidings but some interesting shunting may be possible on outer main line

Screenshot (60)a.png

Screenshot (62).png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2023 at 14:26, Chimer said:

To illustrate using the simplest example - a folded eight single line where brown track is on the level at the lowest point, suitable for a station, rising both ways to the bridge in the top left corner.  Here the gradient is 0.9% (just better than 1 in 100) on the outer loop and 1.3% (1 in 75ish) on the inner to give an elevation of 3" at the bridge.  To arrange things so both gradients flatten out to cross the doorway at the same elevation (making a lift out arrangement as easy as possible) should be do-able, but would obviously make the grades steeper.

2139069356_bitjpg.jpg.59e93a6ee638550c6b54be5e48458620.jpg

Edit to add - with a 2'6" wide "bridge" across the doorway, both tracks at an elevation of 1.64" (!), and the track coming off the bridge behind the station staying at 3" until the curve, the worst gradient is 1.4% ....

1597147724_bit2jpg.jpg.5f804db5df8ddcf28d1b2ab7f36d623e.jpg

On 01/02/2023 at 20:37, Harlequin said:

Here's a sketch of a double-track folded figure of eight with station, FY and max gradient of 1:60.

233044627_NewShedff81.png.f051231989b89b90d8d373f4f3e6beec.png

The rising and falling labels refer to the inner, anticlockwise line of the double-track pair.

The outermost double track lines would use tighter radii where they are hidden but might open up (and move in from the walls) to become scenic in places.

The innermost double track lines that fall from the overbridge into the station are all scenic and so use wider curves.

Since all four tracks crossing the entrance are on gradients, they are carried on a gate-style opening section, that will help to maintain their alignment.

Just a thought: there’s a rather nice layout in the Swiss Railways section of the Continental/ Overseas Forum by @Frutigen called “Obermatt Swiss N gauge layout” that uses a looped figure eight track plan just like these, but with the station on the upper level.  The lower line passes under one end of the station throat in a tunnel, effectively increasing the length available for the station.

That particular layout is a table top N-Scale model, so the comparison only goes so far of course, and as a Swiss layout the inclusion of inclines, tunnels, a station at the top of a climb and even tracks at different levels passing through the same scene all make sense, but the general principle may be worth adding to the conversation?  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

(PS: Word of caution - I've found Swiss railways to be seriously addictive, so be careful checking this out if you intend to come back 😀)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
link, clarification and PS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

(PS: Word of caution - I've found Swiss railways to be seriously addictive, so be careful checking this out if you intend to come back 😀)

...which made me think of this Kenneth Grahame character  🐸, having unearthed the box set LP in the garage today as I excavated room for my new layout! 

• Funny 1