Bachmann mk1 commonwealth bogies problems old type

Hi All I have got 4 Bachmann mk1 carriages with commonwealth bogies which are the old type that were made in Hong Kong. I replaced the wheels with metal ones as the plastic ones were damaged. I gave them a run on my club layout and found that the swing was tight and caused them to derail. I decided to check the wheels movement as they seemed stiff and tried some oil but still found them to drag but derail even on their own. I was wondering what would be my best option in sorting them out?

I thought about replacing the bogies but would have to drill a hole in the coach and screw them or can I sort out the bogies?  Can someone tell me what I would need to do by showing me on the picture 

If I changed them which one to go for? 

IMG_20230202_232642.jpg.841653d9e721bdb832f8f82b124d05b4.jpg

Those look to be 12 mm wheels, ie wagon wheels, when they should be 14 mm coach wheels. This will make the buffers and couplings sit low, which will not help.

There should be no need to change the bogies,

if the wheels are not rotating freely then DCC concepts do a nice tool for cleaning up the bearings.

If the bogies are not turning freely then you need to look carefully to see where the problem is, there may be an obstruction somehere that can be removed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

Those look to be 12 mm wheels, ie wagon wheels, when they should be 14 mm coach wheels. This will make the buffers and couplings sit low, which will not help.

There should be no need to change the bogies,

if the wheels are not rotating freely then DCC concepts do a nice tool for cleaning up the bearings.

If the bogies are not turning freely then you need to look carefully to see where the problem is, there may be an obstruction somehere that can be removed.

The older Bachmann bogies are renowned for being made of a slightly softer plastic which opens out with extended running, reaming them out won't work as they are already too wide and sloppy, hence the op's problem.

Mike.