JMRI installation won't run on Java 1.8.0_65

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I have just borked my JMRI installation, and with it, my entire layout...

I have JMRI running on a Pi-Sprog and I use it to both program and drive trains.

I attempted to upgrade to 5.2 to get the latest decoder definitions. I did this by extracting the files directly onto my existing JMRI installation. I know the release notes recommend not doing this but space is very tight on my system. The last time I tried to update JMRI the "official" way the archives and backups took up so much space that the desktop wouldn't startup afterwards. So I took a risk this time.

JMRI (DecoderPro or Panelpro) is now telling that it won't run on Java version 1.8.0_65. This is confusing because the release notes say that it needs Java 1.8 or later.

I've upgraded all my packages and tried apt install to find later versions of Java but there doesn't seem to be anything available.

Any suggestions how I should get out of this hole?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ianh said:

JMRI 5.2 requires Java 11 to work.

See the release notes: https://www.jmri.org/releasenotes/jmri5.2.shtml

It  includes the link installing Java 11

Kind regards,

Ian H

Ah, OK. Thanks Ian.

I was reading this page, which doesn't seem to have been updated with the info about release 5.2 or Java 11. https://www.jmri.org/install/Raspbian.shtml

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Things are still difficult.

1. The Azul downloads page doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi Chromium browser. There's a constantly spinning busy icon and none of the download filters respond to clicks.

2. On Windows & Chrome, the Azul downloads page works but the download filters don't offer the right combination of Java 11, Debian and Arm 64.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Is your Pi actually running a 64-bit OS? Most Pis run 32-bit OSs, even though the Pi is a 64-bit processor.

The JMRI site also suggests there are some RPi specific downloads available.

Good point. I've used lshw to find out that the OS is actually 32bit, but...

The Azul page still doesn't offer that option.

I'm trying the Adoptium download page, which also doesn't work on Raspbian's own browser, but which does seem to offer a 32bit ARM download.

Edited by Harlequin

Phil,  I'm running "one version behind" current on a Pi-3B (ie. "buster" rather than "bullseye").   Just checked, and that has Java-11 on it (you had me briefly worried because I need to move its JMRI 4.26 onto something current soon).   
Just checked the release notes for that OS, and it says "OpenJDK 11" for Java, replacing the earlier 1.8.  

No idea of consequences for Pi-Sprog hardware.    I'm one who isn't totally sold on hardware clamped to the processor, so my interfaces are via USB.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I downloaded an ARM 32bit version of Java 11 from Adoptium, onto a USB stick, stick plugged into Pi under the baseboard, gzip extracted to desktop, renamed "jre", cut, pasted into JMRI folder, and...

It works!

There is an error about WiThrottle that I need to sort out but, ignoring that, I am back in control of my layout.

😌

• Friendly/supportive 1