00 Gauge Shed Layout (6x8)

Wildo650

Hi all. After many years out of the hobby, I'm looking to jump back in and build a layout.

I have previously built a layout with my father, around 10-12 years ago, although this didn't have the best track plan. Eventually I moved out, got married and had a kid, so my interest in the hobby devolved into a casual observer.

Now as the garden needs a bit of a rework, I'm using the opportunity to get a 6 x 8 shed put in this spring, and so have started planning some possible layouts that could go in there.

Whilst I'm a Class 37 man at heart, and already own a decent collection of diesels, I decided against doing a modern image layout. The limited space available coupled with the price of modern rolling stock meant the long trains common these days wasn't really feasible.

I have always found myself drawn to Pannier & Prairie tanks and the previous layout was nearly set in the steam era. So I've decided to have a go at a GWR branchline.

I'm ideally looking for a continuous run, so I can sit and watch a train go by. And also so my young daughter can have a go at running some trains around. And a few sidings to do a bit of shunting and a decent sized shed to hold 2-3 tank engines or Dean Goods size loco.

The overall size I have available is 2330 x 1760. And I'll be using 00 Gauge.

I have come up with the layout below. A quick Google search of branch stations gave me a terminus plan I liked, so I made a few changes to turn it into a small through station. As it is I can get a 3 coach train into the station and the loop can hold around 7-8 wagons. I've added a dairy in front of the fiddle yard to add a reason to run a milk train. (Although this could be any sort of industry, not set in stone as a dairy)

1987818133_Screenshot_20230211-1732162.png.4000e6ed5011f539ea31311590269104.png

The fiddle yard is 3 sidings with a kickback to access the front right 2. I tried to get a normal fiddle yard in, but couldn't find a way to get one in without it being too short or encroaching too much on the scenic areas.

I know the goods/passing loop isn't very big and I thought of switching the curved points above the depot to get a bit more space in the loop.

I've used medium radius streamline points everywhere except the fiddle yard. And all the track is code 100.

If anyone has any changes or ideas that they think would improve on what I have they would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's a  completely different layout! I'm a relative novice so any advice is warmly welcomed.

• Like 3

This is a really good layout design imho. I have just one suggestion - it always happens with a station off a loop that trains can only enter by reversing back in once they have left the terminus platforms; except in this case access from the fiddle yard could be by running anticlockwise back into the terminus. Since this would conflict with a mainline train running normally as I see it which would be clockwise, see if the line from the fiddle yard anticlockwise could be twin track to the Terminus. Looks possible to me. Not a perfect idea btw.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

This is a really good layout design imho. I have just one suggestion - it always happens with a station off a loop that trains can only enter by reversing back in once they have left the terminus platforms; except in this case access from the fiddle yard could be by running anticlockwise back into the terminus. Since this would conflict with a mainline train running normally as I see it which would be clockwise, see if the line from the fiddle yard anticlockwise could be twin track to the Terminus. Looks possible to me. Not a perfect idea btw.

Thanks.

The plan I used as inspiration had the bay platform as a siding with a good shed over it. I've undecided if it would be a bay or keep it as where a shed would likely be.

I will have a play around and see if a twin track is feasible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyB said:

Can I ask if the space available accounts for insulation of the walls? To make the shed usable and protect the model it may be wise to factor this in?

The dimensions I've worked to are the internal dimensions and appear to be from internal framework to framework. (Although it not 100% clear) 

I would look to put the insulation in the areas between the frames and then board it. So I may lose a slight bit more space.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wildo650,

That looks great! It has a feel of the Devon and Somerset Railway to me (e.g. Wiveliscombe).

Here are a few thoughts for you:

• You could change the turnout from the goods loop to the depot to a left-hand to smooth out the wiggle into the depot.
  • Maybe you could try to get headshunt to run closer to the main line, which would be more realistic. The small branch line company, or the GWR, would try to buy just as much land as they needed and no more.
  • Do you need the headshunt? It's good for the model, in that it would let you shunt the yard while another train is running on the mainline, but it suggests a busier branch line. Typically on a quiet branch line, shunting would have just used the main running line.
  • Could the goods loop be extended by moving the loop turnout past the yard turnout into the curve beyond? It looks like a curved turnout would fit there.
  • Is the siding above the platform for passenger or goods traffic?
  • The goods yard and the Dairy sidings both face the same way, so both would typically be shunted by clockwise trains, leaving anti-clockwise trains doing less. That's fine, and makes the space work, but just something to think about.
  • You don't need road access to the engine shed - and the road access to the goods yard could be through a much simpler fence, making it more open.
  • I note that you don't have a goods shed in the yard. It doesn't have to be big or straddling a siding but you probably need something for covered transhipment and storage of goods.

Do you think you can reach the fiddle yard OK across the scenery? You will need to manually change locos and brake vans there, of course.

Finally, a suggestion for both you and your daughter: DCC Sound. Chuffs, wheezes, squeaks and whistles. Great fun!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Wildo650,

That looks great! It has a feel of the Devon and Somerset Railway to me (e.g. Wiveliscombe).

Here are a few thoughts for you:

• You could change the turnout from the goods loop to the depot to a left-hand to smooth out the wiggle into the depot.
  • Maybe you could try to get headshunt to run closer to the main line, which would be more realistic. The small branch line company, or the GWR, would try to buy just as much land as they needed and no more.
  • Do you need the headshunt? It's good for the model, in that it would let you shunt the yard while another train is running on the mainline, but it suggests a busier branch line. Typically on a quiet branch line, shunting would have just used the main running line.
  • Could the goods loop be extended by moving the loop turnout past the yard turnout into the curve beyond? It looks like a curved turnout would fit there.
  • Is the siding above the platform for passenger or goods traffic?
  • The goods yard and the Dairy sidings both face the same way, so both would typically be shunted by clockwise trains, leaving anti-clockwise trains doing less. That's fine, and makes the space work, but just something to think about.
  • You don't need road access to the engine shed - and the road access to the goods yard could be through a much simpler fence, making it more open.
  • I note that you don't have a goods shed in the yard. It doesn't have to be big or straddling a siding but you probably need something for covered transhipment and storage of goods.

Do you think you can reach the fiddle yard OK across the scenery? You will need to manually change locos and brake vans there, of course.

Finally, a suggestion for both you and your daughter: DCC Sound. Chuffs, wheezes, squeaks and whistles. Great fun!

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I've incorporated them into the plan below.

1747151545_Screenshot_20230212-1155362.png.d136f018ea260efc5c7fc401bdca8971.png

The platform siding was originally a goods siding, I've put a small good shed over it. However I'm open to having it as either goods or a passenger bay.

I also flipped the dairy sidings, although again I'm open to having it set either way around.

With the fiddle yard, I'm looking to have a relatively low backscene so access is a bit better. And the door would be positioned where the 2 sidings in the right corner are located, so worst case I can access it from the outside.  (Not ideal, but workable) The kickback siding would be the furthest area to reach, but it's only to access the 2 right hand sidings, so I wouldn't look to do any regular loco/brake can swaps in it.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Wildo650 said:

I have come up with the layout below.

Looks excellent to me! 

18 hours ago, Wildo650 said:

I know the goods/passing loop isn't very big

Can you get the radii to work if you extend the loop to the left and terminate it in a curved (RH) turnout?

4 hours ago, Wildo650 said:

The plan I used as inspiration had the bay platform as a siding with a good shed over it.

This strikes me as an improvement: sheds add reason to moves, increasing immersion in the world of the layout. Passenger bay platforms do not, nor do you need one to run an autotrain (which seems the usual excuse reason!) so I would make this change were it my layout.

Ah sorry, just seen you're all over it!

4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Do you need the headshunt? It's good for the model, in that it would let you shunt the yard while another train is running on the mainline,

Well, QED! A train running the circuit for the little one with simultaneous shunting for Dad. Phil's quite right that it's suggestive of a busier branch, but I don't think it would break the spell and the benefits are significant. 

Re the fiddleyard, you have a good handle on what your compromises are and why you're making them so not much to suggest...but...have you considered cassettes? At the extreme, and if you'll excuse the very rough demo, something like:

FY.jpg.b2284fc87172848ca76308f979baa77e.jpg

with the cassette road being the bottom - nearest the operating well (and longest!). Just a thought.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Looks excellent to me! 

Can you get the radii to work if you extend the loop to the left and terminate it in a curved (RH) turnout?

This strikes me as an improvement: sheds add reason to moves, increasing immersion in the world of the layout. Passenger bay platforms do not, nor do you need one to run an autotrain (which seems the usual excuse reason!) so I would make this change were it my layout.

Ah sorry, just seen you're all over it!

Well, QED! A train running the circuit for the little one with simultaneous shunting for Dad. Phil's quite right that it's suggestive of a busier branch, but I don't think it would break the spell and the benefits are significant. 

Re the fiddleyard, you have a good handle on what your compromises are and why you're making them so not much to suggest...but...have you considered cassettes? At the extreme, and if you'll excuse the very rough demo, something like:

FY.jpg.b2284fc87172848ca76308f979baa77e.jpg

with the cassette road being the bottom - nearest the operating well (and longest!). Just a thought.

Yeah the headshunt could easily be put back in. I'd just have it more parallel to the main line as suggested by Harlequin. Busying myself with shunting whilst a train goes by on the main line does sound appealing.

With the fiddle yard, cassettes do sound like a good idea, but my skills are a bit basic. It would give me more space for different trains though. Currently I would only be able to hold 3.