Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hobb's Hill station

Halton Boy

Hello everyone

The station in the small town of Hobb's Hill is the subject of this fictional station model in O gauge.

The main employer in the town is the Alexandra Drapery Company which produces ladies clothes and accessories and fine linen products.

The branch line to Hobb's hill was fourteen miles long with two intermediate stations.

The branch became part of the GWR and is now part of BR WR.

There are four passenger trains per day plus freight workings.

Here are the proposed layout plans.

Each space on the plan is 300mm.

The station buildings will not be modelled. Only the platform will be shown.

The size of the engine and goods sheds are based on available models.

The layout will only be used at home.

I have not used a double slip in station plan 3 because of the spacing.

I will work on the signals once I have decided on a plan for the station.

Ken

458809653_Station1.jpg.e0c333ea64b7089419e10fd15e494dd7.jpg219569274_Station2.jpg.ae6c497e3f6e92c04ebe1a8974c27020.jpg1843983688_Station3.jpg.629e42dbe9c6b0b2dafe3a6e7c666fbb.jpg

1647377433_stationtrailing.jpg.6179fc6b3841365daa4512504b2eddb4.jpg 

• Like 1

Hello everyone

I have decided to go with this plan for now.

I have modelled the engine, vans and coaches to scale and placed them on the plan.

I have increased the fiddle yard from 1000mm to 1200mm.

This makes the overall layout 5000mm which is the maximum I can have.

Although I can fit two coaches and a tank engine in the station I can only fit one coach and tank engine in the fiddle yard.

The fiddle yard will be two second hand 1200mm cassettes that I have purchased.

I am more interested in the freight working than the passenger working as the passenger working will just be into the station, run round then out again.

I could attach a van to the passenger coach.

I can get four vans and a tank engine into the station, but only three vans and a tank engine into the fiddle yard which could make for some interesting shunting in the yard and station.

Please let me know what you think of this layout.

Have I got something wrong?

I will sort out the signalling once the plan is complete.

Ken646750877_stationtrailing2.jpg.e028e77ae6c64c80883bd0c6bd261a07.jpg

• Like 1

Hello everyone

I have remeasured the space available and have increased the size of the layout.

Here are two versions of the new layout.

988498197_Hobbshill1.jpg.c1af2efdc4bad61c31cf036727c3fdfe.jpg1913226458_Hobbshill2.jpg.81b9088ebf8989caec719ab0f4dce371.jpg

The first plan looks cleaner but puts the engine shed close to the head shunt.

The fiddle yard is now 1500mm long with 300mm of that, pale buff, being scenic.

I have based the buildings on those made by Skytrex as they are more compact than other makes available.

I have some sheets of plywood which I will cut up. I will place some track on them and draw around the track onto the boards.

I am not sure if I should buy the Skytrex buildings at this point.

I have been working on the logic for the layout and have produced this map:1016061212_Branchline.jpg.05be3ff9adf671d98d8f6b7ddfff0a5f.jpg

The single line branch leaves the BR WR main line at Mandaville junction.

It is eight miles to the large village of Kingswood. The station there has a passing loop and a goods shed. Kingswood is known for its furniture production.

Four miles on is the village of Walton Turville which has a halt on the single line.

Half a mile further on are the sidings for Dobbings Lane quarry.

The quarry produces road stone.

Trains from the quarry will sometimes run into Hobbs Hill station to run round the wagons and leave bunker first.

Road stone is delivered to Hobbs Hill rear siding for the local council to use on their roads.

Coal for local use is delivered to Hobbs Hill along with other goods.

The main freight traffic to and from Hobbs Hill is connected with the Alexandra Drapery Company. 

I am ready to cut the wood up now.

Ken

• Like 1