Hornby chassis

I am sure they do.

I bought an L1 chassis many years ago and later on a spare 2P body.

The chassis fitted with no problems.

I think the L1 body was altered to make the 2P.  Looking carefully at my 2P body you could just make out where the cab window had been filled in.

Rodney

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The party included the original Triang M7 as well, with the bodyshell mounted the other way around, one of the reasons for the excess fresh air between the bunker floor and the trailing bogie.  IIRC the L1 used the tender from the 3F, which was not strictly correct for it but close enough for jazz by the standards of the day, and the later 2P continued to use this tender, which was correct for it!

Not sure how the Churchward County fits into this picture.  I believe the Schools and D49 share a chassis, but that this chassis is a different beastie altogether.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The party included the original Triang M7 as well, with the bodyshell mounted the other way around, one of the reasons for the excess fresh air between the bunker floor and the trailing bogie.  IIRC the L1 used the tender from the 3F, which was not strictly correct for it but close enough for jazz by the standards of the day, and the later 2P continued to use this tender, which was correct for it!

Not sure how the Churchward County fits into this picture.  I believe the Schools and D49 share a chassis, but that this chassis is a different beastie altogether.

The tender isn't right for the 3F either*. Somewhere along the line, the body moulding lost the rivets**. It was also attached to the King Arthur look-alike (it is a 4-6-0, but not as we know it, Jim!)

IIRC the later 4-4-0s share a chassis block which has three axle slots to cater for the different wheelbases.

*There was one 3F with a similar tender, but it wasn't 43775 (most had the Midland tender with a flared top). There are dimensional compromises too. (One of the 3Fs with 4'10" driving wheels would have been a better ID too seeing they used the same existing six-coupled chassis.

** The 2P tenders lack rivets, as do those for the Southern Railway liveried LI and King Arthur

The Bachmann N class tender is more accurate for an L1 (or the GBL copy fitted with a proper chassis i.e. with wheels).

(Perhaps I'm being too pedantic. It is Tri-ang after all!)

The L1 wheels are too big for an M7 and give the result a top heavy appearance.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Informative/Useful 1

The X04 powered M7 chassis is unique to the M7.  It has cast in Vacuum cylinders at the Driving wheel end.   The motor is mounted lower, it uses shorter coupling rods common with the X04 Polly Nellie etc -0-4-0 chassis and has also a cast in mounting for the firebox glow.  I remember when they came out and my friend's dad bought him one as it reminded him of the Caley 0-4-4Ts he in turn knew in his childhood.  The M7  may well share the same driving wheels as the L1 and 2P but the chassis block is unique to the M7.   The M7 Chassis drives on the end axle, the L1 on the Axle next to the bogie.    

• Informative/Useful 1

I came across* my 2P yesterday. She has a 'Mainline' tender which is several rungs up the ladder from Tri-ang's effort, but lacks her front buffers. I must finish what was obviously a project to fit a new buffer beam in the correct place. It should be below the footplate valence not part of it. This is also true for the L1.

* In one of my numerous boxes.... So that's where she had got to!