Faller Road System

• RMweb Gold

Either that or some sort of modification to the gearing, or both.  You would need to know the voltage output of the charged battery, probably 1.5v, and the current consumption of the motor to work out the resistance needed, or simply experiment until you are happy with the speed.  It may be possible to replace the rechargeable battery with one of lower voltage, which would also have the effect of slowing the motor, and consequently the lorry, down. 

There must be a way to do this, because while my general impression of Faller vehicles on show layouts is that they are a bit quick for urban environments (but fine on open roads or motorways), one does see layouts where the speed is more suited to urban or small country roads.  If they are too quick, this looks particularly bad as they whip around street corners, as there seems to be no way of slowing them down for this move and then speeding back up to normal speed when they are back on the straight.

Might be worth getting in touch with the people behind the 'End Of The LIne' layout, which features the most realistically moving model lorry I have yet seen, albeit in 7mm.

For anyone contemplating something like the Faller Road System, take a look at the new Viessmann Car Motion system.

Far more up-to-date with programmable and variable speeds, working indicator and brake lights and other features.

Vehicles accelerate and slow down under braking, rather than the simple stop-go single speed Faller set-up.

https://viessmann-modell.com/downloads/download/file/266

• Informative/Useful 5

I had moving road traffic in the 1990s... Tyco slot car chassis under plastic 4mm scale kit buses. Even made a working London trolleybus that used Eheim catenary

Its possible to do moving vehicles ultra cheap if you are inventive enough. I had lots of time and very little money