Farish 4MT Tank conversion

NGaugeTom

Hello all,

I'm looking to convert a Farish 4MT tank, but I'm not sure where to start with the valve gear.  Am I right in thinking the valve gear would be the same dimensions as the Fairburn tank?  And if so, I was struggling to work out which parts I would need to complete the valve gear from shop 3, has anyone converted one before and know?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tom,

I produce an etched kit to convert the Farish Fairburn tank to 2FS - see my products page on the Association web pages. I haven't been able to check the BR standard 4MT Farish produce with the Fairburn version, but I think the valve gear is identical. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Here are some pics of my Fairburn conversion. The Fairburn model is really good, and I suppose the BR standard is also, so well worth converting.

Fairburn.JPG.fccfe42ee5b384174226051aac8df279.JPG

2092690364_FarishFairburntank6a.jpg.0f7909a64fe5e16c932b2e97eda31d7b.jpg

955417756_Fairburntank11.jpg.00c1c7129656dc2b9c0004bfddaeecc0.jpg

Please ask if you want more information.

Regards,

Nigel Hunt

Edited by Nig H
tidy up
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The valve gear on a BR Standard 4MT (both the 2-6-4T and 2-6-0 varieties) and 3MT (2-6-2T and 2-6-0) are all the same as on a Fairburn (at least prototype-wise).   The only difference I know of is that BR switched to using plain coupling rods  instead of fluted during the builds. For later versions. I used to know the exact point at which they switched on the 2-6-4T, but cannot find it now.   But 80067 had fluted rods and 80079 had plain, so somewhere between those two.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1