Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tours of Birmingham New Street signal box

• RMweb Premium

I was going to enter the draw for this until I realised that it is on the day between two strike days which means services may be affected. Given that I live in London I don't think I would be able to guarantee to do the return journey so very dejected about the whole thing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Thank you for the prompt on this, Phil. I notice that it's being presented as a draw for tickets but I applied within an hour or so of your post and was just sent tickets straight away, which was a pleasant surprise.

Check the details. I thought that and when I look at the Eventbright thing, it's actually just to say you are in the draw.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, well that's a bit misleading. I've got an email that says 'you've got tickets' and a PDF of two tickets, neither of which say anything about them just being a draw entry. However, if you scroll down to the bottom of the Eventbright page, you then find a paragraph that says:

"Registering for a ticket means you will be entered for a chance to receive up to two tickets to one of our free tours on Friday 31 March."

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see 🙄 Thanks, Phil.

Update from Network Rail:

Signal box ballot closes tomorrow – what happens next?

Thank you for registering your interest and entering the ballot for just 60 places on our one-off tours of Birmingham New Street power signal box which will take place on Friday 31 March.

At the time of application, you will have been sent an automated confirmation email and event ticket by Eventbrite – THIS IS NOT A FINAL TICKET TO THE TOURS.

This is your ballot entry – think of it like a raffle ticket.

We have had more than 7,000 applications for the 60 places on the tours, and we have been delighted and overwhelmed by the interest in coming to see our much-loved Brutalist building.

When the ballot closes – at 12:00pm on Friday 17 March – the random draw will be made, and those lucky enough to be selected will be contacted directly by telephone after midday to be given further details of what to expect on Friday 31 March.

If you are not contacted by phone tomorrow, you have unfortunately not secured a place on the tours and will not be admitted to the event.

Ballot winners will be contacted from around noon tomorrow – please keep your phone on loud and nearby as we can only attempt to call a maximum of three times before tickets are reallocated.

Once all places have been allocated and confirmed, a guestlist for the event will be created.

Only those on the guestlist will be permitted inside the building.

After the random draw tomorrow, the Eventbrite listing for the ticket ballot will be cancelled – making all automated confirmation emails null and void.

Showing up on the day with the ballot email will result in a wasted journey so please follow this guidance to avoid disappointment.

Once again, please do not come to the venue unless you have been contacted directly by phone by Network Rail.

We look forward to getting in touch with the 60 lucky ballot winners tomorrow.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1