IPA Paint Stripping

Hi all, 

I realise there’s probably more methods to strip paint than there are members on RMWeb!

I’ve currently got a Hornby class 56 (newer version) soaking away in a bath of 99.9% IPA. It’s been submerged for around an hour but absolutely nothing has budged and the IPA is still perfectly clear. 

Having read the other topics, I’ve learnt that patience is a virtue, but some topics mention IPA stripping paint in a matter of minutes, others recommend an overnight bath. 

Ironically, a rogue drip of IPA took a micro second to remove the print design from the IKEA ziplock bag it’s sitting in. 

My question is, should something/anything have happened by now? At what point do I switch tactics and introduce Mr Muscle? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

After 5 or so hours I’ve had a look and it would appear that I’m making some progress. The IPA has removed paint from the brass details and softened some of the body side paint. 

I noticed I’ve left finger prints all over the body shell. I assume this won’t be an issue the more the paint softens and is subsequently removed with the toothbrush? 

Kinda nerve racking but I think I’m getting somewhere! 

Edited by desiro450
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2023 at 18:57, desiro450 said:

After 5 or so hours I’ve had a look and it would appear that I’m making some progress. The IPA has removed paint from the brass details and softened some of the body side paint. 

I noticed I’ve left finger prints all over the body shell. I assume this won’t be an issue the more the paint softens and is subsequently removed with the toothbrush? 

Kinda nerve racking but I think I’m getting somewhere! 

Hi

I use IPA like yourself but was advised to dilute 99.9% with 10% water and it starts working very quickly.

I have just completed stripping two 3 Bachmann class 37 locos and each one took less than 24 hours. Part way through period, I lift body out and scrub the grills with a toothbrush to loosen and persistent paint in them.

Hope that is of help to you

John

• RMweb Premium

Yes, dilute it by 10% and away you go. Sounds like homeopathy, but it does work.

About the only paint I've never been able to shift with IPA is some DDR-era silver on a DR 106 shunter body.