Loco Hauled Passenger Services - Luton to St Pancras (Late 1960’s to Early 1980’s)

KAR 120C

I’m trying to establish what sort of loco hauled passenger services were provided between Luton and London from about 1967 to 1983, when, I think, HST’s took over.  Based on a first look it looks like Peaks, Peaks and more Peaks but I’d welcome any comments and guidance on this, especially regarding the Class used (were they 44’s, 45’s etc?) and the carriage formations.  If anyone can recommend some relevant reading for me as a total beginner in this area that would be great.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Trainspotting at Bedford in late 60s and early 70s, loco hauled trains were in the hands of class 45s, and the odd 46. The Master Cutler was a class 47 hauled train, for a long time D1575 (one of the few blue 47s seen). It was not unknown for relief trains and specials to have a pair of 25s on the front.  Coaching stock was mainly Mk1s. When I first started to regularly trainspot a LMS peiod 3 brake coach with pullman gangway adaptors might be on the end of the train. Later on the odd early vacuum braked Mk2 could be in a train. 

Freights were in the hands of 27s until swapped with Scottish class 25s or local 25s in the D5212-22 range. Coal was mainly hauled by Peaks but not 44s as they didn't come south of Wellingborough and at times 47s. Class 33s were seen at Luton on the Dunstable cement trains.

Class 127 dominated the DMU services, backed up by class 116. The 116 were replacements for the 112s and 113s used on the Moorgate and Barking services which had been sent north about the same time as I started to trainspot. The Midland Pullman sets had already been transferred to the WR.

In 1973 I started work away from Bedford and every time I went home to see Mum and Dad the railway scene seemed to change. On one leave from the army in 1978 I arrived in the old Bedford station and left from the new one.

• Like 3

Thanks for your help Talltim and Clive.  Interesting to see the reference to 47’s  and the 116’s.  Definitely more research required by me!  The Flickr photos are really useful.

Edited by KAR 120C
Reference to Flickr included.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/03/2023 at 16:02, Clive Mortimore said:

Trainspotting at Bedford in late 60s and early 70s, loco hauled trains were in the hands of class 45s, and the odd 46. The Master Cutler was a class 47 hauled train, for a long time D1575 (one of the few blue 47s seen). It was not unknown for relief trains and specials to have a pair of 25s on the front.  Coaching stock was mainly Mk1s. When I first started to regularly trainspot a LMS peiod 3 brake coach with pullman gangway adaptors might be on the end of the train. Later on the odd early vacuum braked Mk2 could be in a train. 

Freights were in the hands of 27s until swapped with Scottish class 25s or local 25s in the D5212-22 range. Coal was mainly hauled by Peaks but not 44s as they didn't come south of Wellingborough and at times 47s. Class 33s were seen at Luton on the Dunstable cement trains.

Class 127 dominated the DMU services, backed up by class 116. The 116 were replacements for the 112s and 113s used on the Moorgate and Barking services which had been sent north about the same time as I started to trainspot. The Midland Pullman sets had already been transferred to the WR.

In 1973 I started work away from Bedford and every time I went home to see Mum and Dad the railway scene seemed to change. On one leave from the army in 1978 I arrived in the old Bedford station and left from the new one.

Hi Clive,

just found this thread, I didn't realise you were a native of Bedford.

I agree with your comments, although my observations as a native of Luton,  were more early /mid 60s.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1