RMweb

Setting up Z21 with DR4088s

ITG

• RMweb Gold

Not sure whether best to post this here, or in DCC section.

I recently dismantled a small “learning” layout, mainly to gain experience of iTrain, using Z21 with DR4088 CS sensors. This test layout only needed 10 sensors, so didn’t utilise the Dr4088’s full set of 16. Although still much to learn, I gained enough knowledge of the basics, to begin to move onto the longer term goal of a larger layout, in a different room - hence the test layout had to go.

As I can’t yet start the new layout, I thought I’d get on with some prep work, one such task being addressing the feedbacks in the DR4088s (I have 5 in total, so 80 sensors). I was hoping then all 5 would be ready, so then I could just replicate in iTrain later when constructing the new layout.

So, as I don’t yet know the final layout plan and it’s blocks and feedbacks, I thought I’d simply use the Z21’s track icons to address the feedbacks, utilising the addressed/numbered turnouts to programme the first DR4088. I used 1001 onwards, and tested a range of the numbered feedbacks Z21 sensor tracks, including 1, 2 and 15, 16. All fine when tested with a loco on a short (couple of ) pieces of track.

I then turned to the next DR4088 (having disconnected the first one), and tried to programme 1017 onwards - but couldn’t get it to work. I had track power, the ‘sensor active’ light flickered on the DR4088, but the Z21 track section didn’t light. So I thought I’d retrace my steps, which resulted in the first DR4088 not working, even though it had an hour previously.

Can anyone suggest what’s going on? Do the DR4088s need to be linked to programme? Do they remember the programming when disconnected? How would you suggest I approach this?

I don’t find the way in which sensor numbers are programmed particularly intuitive, and I saw one video which suggested one could use the Z21 Maintenance Tool to do so. Would this be better?

thanks

Ian

I use the Z21 Maint tool for any programming, but it isn't doing anything that can't be done using the app, or a MultiMaus.

You can start the DR4088xx numbering wherever you want, but I suggest that 1 is a good place. They will be on a totally separate bus from the accessories or locos and you can happily use the same numbering sequence for anything on the different busses. You do not need to have them linked to each other when programming, you can number them out of sequence, (number unit one, then unit 5, then unit 3, ...) and they will keep the addresses set until such time as you readdress them.

They are really simple devices, don't look for anything complicated or difficult with them as it doesn't exist. The instructions on the DigiKeijs website are completely correct, just follow them and they will work.

If you want to use them in the Z21 app, then you need to use the Blucher GMB16XL/XN Loconet Response Module

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

I use the Z21 Maint tool for any programming, but it isn't doing anything that can't be done using the app, or a MultiMaus

Interesting. I was considering getting a multimaus, simply because sometimes it’s just easier to hit a button!

22 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

You can start the DR4088xx numbering wherever you want, but I suggest that 1 is a good place. They will be on a totally separate bus from the accessories or locos and you can happily use the same numbering sequence for anything on the different busses.

Is that saying that one could have turnouts numbered 1,2,3 AND sensor devices also numbered 1,2,3? Even though, when using the Z21 app, you need to have the turnout appropriately numbered to programme the start point of the 4088?

24 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

f you want to use them in the Z21 app, then you need to use the Blucher GMB16XL/XN Loconet Response Module

Hadn’t heard of this, so some research needed.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian

2 minutes ago, ITG said:

Is that saying that one could have turnouts numbered 1,2,3 AND sensor devices also numbered 1,2,3? Even though, when using the Z21 app, you need to have the turnout appropriately numbered to programme the start point of the 4088?

Yes, you can have a feedback on LocoNet numbered 1 and a turnout numbered 1 and a loco numbered 1 - they are all different.

Regarding the Blucher there is nothing to find out, (and you don't need to purchase the GMB16)  you simply choose that in the Z21 App as the type of Response Module, that way the Z21 app will show as occupied if you assign the address in the app. 🙂

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Yes, you can have a feedback on LocoNet numbered 1 and a turnout numbered 1 and a loco numbered 1 - they are all different.

Regarding the Blucher there is nothing to find out, (and you don't need to purchase the GMB16)  you simply choose that in the Z21 App as the type of Response Module, that way the Z21 app will show as occupied if you assign the address in the app. 🙂

Ah, I see. I’d been using the uhlenbrock, as I’d seen in a DCC Train automation video. I’ll try that in next day or two.

thanks.