DPDT Switch

Paul_C

I have a ZTC 611 controller and I've read somewhere that it's advisable to connect a DPDT switch between the controller and track connections. Your thoughts please as to whether this is necessary and what it actually does. Bear in mind I'm not great with electrics.

Paul.  

16 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

Your thoughts please as to whether this is necessary and what it actually does

Paul,

I have a DPDT switch installed between my NCE PowerCAB and the main layout track feed. This allows me to switch between feeding the layout and feeding a separate 'programming track' (a short length of track on a timber plank). Yes, I could do the whole thing by moving a couple of wires, but the switch makes it easier (and more reliable).

What does a DPDT switch do? It's essentially 2-switches in 1. It switches both the positive and negative wires between a single source and 2 destinations at the same time. In my case the 'source' is my PowerCAB, and the destinations are 'The Layout' and 'The Programming Track'.

I hope this helps and is sufficiently explained.

Ian

35 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

I have a ZTC 611 controller and I've read somewhere that it's advisable to connect a DPDT switch between the controller and track connections. Your thoughts please as to whether this is necessary and what it actually does. Bear in mind I'm not great with electrics.

Paul.  

The ZTC has a crap startup process, which puts noise onto the track outputs before the DCC signal stabilises.  During startup, there's a chance that locos would be confused and run (as if on DC), and the messy signal may cause other problems. 

The switch (and you only need a single pole on/off in one of the two feed wires) stops the track power reaching the layout, and causing possible chaos, until the ZTC is producing a stable DCC signal. 

Turn the switch on after the ZTC has been powered up.   Turn the switch off before turning the ZTC off at the end of an operating session.  

( Ian's explanation is fine for a PowerCab and its combined "track and programming" output.   It isn't relevant to the ZTC system, which has separate outputs,  so ignore all he has said in respect of the ZTC system ). 

- Nigel

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1