FiNe 160, FS160 - Whatever you call it - Couplings and Wheel questions

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

I figure this is the place for this question, as FS160 and 2mm are definitely bedfellows - FS160 uses 2mm standards, just on a 9mm track. I am attempting to dip my toe in that pond as 1) German prototype stuff is easily available here (Netherlands) and 2) the 2mmSA Is basically one stop shopping for everything else I need - not to mention just being great overall.

Question 1: My wagon wheels mic out at 15.05 mm from tip to tip. There is a bit of slop side to side, but I am unsure how much. The 2mm SA lists wheels with 15.2mm axle lengths; is this the replacement to use?

And Question 2: Has anyone used the DG couplings for this? Seems... like they should work fine? I guess?

Thanks much!

Amanda

4 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks.

I figure this is the place for this question, as FS160 ...

Question 1: My wagon wheels mic out at 15.05 mm from tip to tip. There is a bit of slop side to side, but I am unsure how much. The 2mm SA lists wheels with 15.2mm axle lengths; is this the replacement to use?

And Question 2: Has anyone used the DG couplings for this? Seems... like they should work fine? I guess?

1 -  There are two axles of possible interest in the Association shop, the 15.2 and the 14.8.  They have different point angles as well as different lengths, but chances are the 15.2 is the better fit.  
Or, if your axles are 1.0mm diameter, you could remove the existing wheels and push on 2mm wheels - this needs some sort of vertical press arrangement to do it without getting wobbly wheels, doing it by hand will be somewhat hit/miss.   A vertical drill stand would work. 
Or, you could reprofile the tyres on the N gauge wheels.   (Which you're likely to have to do for locos, etc..).  

2 - DG's would work, as would any other reasonably sensible coupling.   As to what to use, that really depends on personal preferences, and possibly interworking with anyone else who you know modelling to the same scale.  

- Nigel

• Agree 1

Guest WM183
17 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

1 -  There are two axles of possible interest in the Association shop, the 15.2 and the 14.8.  They have different point angles as well as different lengths, but chances are the 15.2 is the better fit.  
Or, if your axles are 1.0mm diameter, you could remove the existing wheels and push on 2mm wheels - this needs some sort of vertical press arrangement to do it without getting wobbly wheels, doing it by hand will be somewhat hit/miss.   A vertical drill stand would work. 
Or, you could reprofile the tyres on the N gauge wheels.   (Which you're likely to have to do for locos, etc..).  

2 - DG's would work, as would any other reasonably sensible coupling.   As to what to use, that really depends on personal preferences, and possibly interworking with anyone else who you know modelling to the same scale.  

- Nigel

I could press them on / off with my lathe and tailstock easy enough. I may try reprofiling some, but 2mm SA axles are cheap enough I'd rather just replace them if I can!

I'll try some 15.2s and DGs. Thanks!

On 28/03/2023 at 20:34, WM183 said:

I could press them on / off with my lathe and tailstock easy enough. I may try reprofiling some, but 2mm SA axles are cheap enough I'd rather just replace them if I can!

I'll try some 15.2s and DGs. Thanks!

Definitely use the 15.2mm axles. You might just want to touch the axle ends with a file (very gently!) to blunt the point, otherwise they might cut into the plastic axle boxes.

The 14.8mm axles do not work at all well with Fleischmann/Minitrix etc.

Chris