Thompson coaching stock where would it be found in the mid 1950s

dave75

Looking at the ECML CWD for 1960 there are a few trains that have a * mark against the coaches to indicate that they need to be "modern" MkI's however for the majority it looks to be that the Thompson stock will be used within the pool of available stock especially where these have the same seating capacity.

1041121180_p018Talisman4.0pm(sx).jpg.e8c9493b0770575efa77ae428ba90be8.jpg754058419_p002Abbreviations.jpg.6cab7b4223c775c187a3c090be0171d0.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

Thompson CK 18477 preserved by LNERCA on the NYMR worked out of Kings Cross in 1968. When removing the first class Seats for asbestos removal we found a guards hand written ticket. That was one of many items of drinks cans and food wrappers from the same era. The wierdest was a family planning leaflet and an empty condom box. The things that went on in trains in the sixties. 

• Like 3

Um yeah, speaking for myself I'm looking to replicate GE section traffic in 1959.

Perusal of pictorial reference material reveals a pretty much mix n match attitude to rakes wrt Thompson and Gresley stock. BR Mk1s it seems took a while longer to infiltrate the GE wholesale. Not surprisingly given the hand-me-down nature of cascades.

From what I can ascertain, my domestic GE services should be made up largely of Thompson and Gresley stock, with a smattering of 'new' Mk1 on inward interregionals or portions off a named mainline service.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Well, there are the 50s and then there are the 50s.  Thompson stock was still in new production foe the ex-LNER areas until at least 1953, when the ‘Elizabethan’ was inaugurated, and BR mk1s did not appear until 1950.  Over the decade, as the named trains were given mk1 stock, the still-new Thompsons would be cascaded to less important work, while the older Gresleys displaced by them in turn replaced older GN, NE, GC, GE, and other pregrouping stock, which was withdrawn.  By the end of the decade there were enough mk1s to allow their introduction on lesser services in company with older stock, and the process repeated itself.  

By about 1955, Thomsons would be starting to appear in inter-regional work, and thereby more geographically dispersed.  The same thing was happening to Bullied, Hawksworth, and Ivatt stock. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 2