RMweb

Noisy loco

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone can help me please? 

I’m going to try and explain my situation the best that I can. As many of you know I have been buying models for a few years now. In recent years I have become more conscious of cleaning the models specifically the wheels of locos and more recently applying E-Lube to driving wheel axles of locos. I use Tec Tane Contact Spray to clean the wheels of locos, wagons and coaches. I do this by spraying a small amount on a cotton ear cleaning bud and just gentle rubbing each wheel to remove the dirt. I have always found that this seems to remove dirt easily and thoroughly and has never damaged any locos to my knowledge provided its used in small sprays. At the end of last year I bought a tube Hob-E-Lube Lite Oil Product Code HL654 from Woodland Scenics because I had read an instruction leaflet that came in with a Bachmann Class 20/3 loco saying that if the driving wheel axles on locos appear dry and no lubricant is visible then to apply a small amount of E-Lube to each driving wheel axle. I haven’t used this E-Lube on any of my locos or stock before, I have just used the contact spray I have mentioned above to remove dirt from the wheels of locos and stock. 

I have recently used the E-Lube by Woodland Scenics on a Bachmann Class 57/3 diesel as it makes a bit of groaning sound when running at slower speed steps, so I thought as I have owned the model for seven years and it has recently come out of the display cabinet having not been used for two and a half years or so, that this may cure the noise. I have applied a small amount of E-Lube using a toothpick to each driving wheel axle on the loco and then I turned the loco upside down for a day or so, so that the E-Lube didn’t drip back out and I didn’t run the loco. After a day or just over I put the loco back on the track and tried running it hoping that the noise may have reduced or gone completely. I have ran the loco in both directions and light engine and with a wagon load attached to attempt to bed in the E-Lube and nothing has changed. The groaning noise is still there and is noticeable when the loco is running at slower speeds for example speed steps three and four. 

Please can anyone advise on what to do or if I am doing anything wrong? Do I need to apply the E-Lube to other areas of the model as well as the driving wheel axles on locos? If so where do I need to apply it? Or have I bought the incorrect type of E-Lube, for example should I have gone for something more heavier and not the ‘Lite Oil’ E-Lube that I have used? Also is the Tec Tane Contact Spray I am using to clean the wheels of locos and stock ok to use, and it won’t have caused the groaning noise on the loco? I have used this particular contact spray for years and as far as I am aware it has never caused any problems and always seems to have cleaned the wheels of locos and stock well. Or should I be using another product to clean the wheels of locos and stock? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am trying to get better at cleaning and maintaining my stock, I just lack the knowledge in certain areas. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To add further information

• RMweb Gold

The oil you've used is ok. Heavier oils are more suited to older mechanisms like say a Triang / Hornby X03/4 motor.

Over time the "lubricant" applied by Bachmann (and Hornby) can solidify. Also there are many more points to apply oil besides the drive wheels. Depending upon how comfortable you are with removing the body shell and bogies then it's best to remove the original lubricant and apply the light oil to the locations shown in the Bachmann service sheet. There may have been a few changes made to the 57 over the years, but the basic mechanism is the same. A link to the service sheet is the original is missing

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/Class-57-21pin.pdf

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tim123 said:

The oil you've used is ok. Heavier oils are more suited to older mechanisms like say a Triang / Hornby X03/4 motor.

Over time the "lubricant" applied by Bachmann (and Hornby) can solidify. Also there are many more points to apply oil besides the drive wheels. Depending upon how comfortable you are with removing the body shell and bogies then it's best to remove the original lubricant and apply the light oil to the locations shown in the Bachmann service sheet. There may have been a few changes made to the 57 over the years, but the basic mechanism is the same. A link to the service sheet is the original is missing

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/Class-57-21pin.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply and information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

If the lubricant which was applied at the factory during production has solidified how will I remove it? I’m thinking that I will attempt to remove the solidified lubricant first before applying fresh lubricant. 

Thank you for the link to the service sheet. Sorry for the daft question but where else apart from the driving wheel axles should I apply the lubricant to? Looking at the service sheet I can see the motor which is part one on the diagram, the motor bracket labelled as part three and the driveshaft as part four. Which part/s should I apply lubricant to? Also is the E-Lube I have already used for the driving wheel axles ok to be used on these parts too? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

If the lubricant which was applied at the factory during production has solidified how will I remove it? I’m thinking that I will attempt to remove the solidified lubricant first before applying fresh lubricant. 

Thank you for the link to the service sheet. Sorry for the daft question but where else apart from the driving wheel axles should I apply the lubricant to? Looking at the service sheet I can see the motor which is part one on the diagram, the motor bracket labelled as part three and the driveshaft as part four. Which part/s should I apply lubricant to? Also is the E-Lube I have already used for the driving wheel axles ok to be used on these parts too? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

All moving parts, which should be clear when you have the lid off. Except for the brushes and commutator, which shouldn't be lubricated with anything.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, kevinlms said:

All moving parts, which should be clear when you have the lid off. Except for the brushes and commutator, which shouldn't be lubricated with anything.

So basically anything that moves apart from the brushes and commutator can and should be lubricated. 

The moving parts to be lubricated, is the E-Lube lite oil that I have already used for the driving wheel axles ok to be used for these parts too? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny.