The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Off to Washington DC

Red Baron

Im off to Washington DC next week....

( never been to the USA or even on a jumbo jet before!)

I'm officially going as a work trip but will get a couple of days to do as I wish.... ( I'm giving a lecture / speech / rant / looking a twerp infront of lots of people @ Microsoft World Partner Conference if anyone wonders...)

What rail sights / sounds should I be looking out for, what should I defo not miss?

Of course if anyone else is "in" I.T. and off to WPC let me know biggrin.gif

I retired 3 years ago from IT - but never went there on work - but I've been there plenty of times to play my bagpipes for the Police Memorial. I've ridden the Metro a lot and have found that interesting. To be honest, I spent most of my time at the memorials and the Smithsonian - especially the Air & Space Museum. I did a Google search and found a lot of railroad museums close to DC, but in DC itself there only seems to be Union Station, which has been converted into a museum. (I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.)

Union station is pretty good with diesel and electric hauled trains from Amtrak plus two commuter rail agencies (MARC trains from the North and VRE trains from the south) - it was fine to photograph when I last visited in 2000 but definately worth checking their current policy!

3x pics at WUS (Washington Union Station)

y52vp6.jpg

y19ufd.jpg

y52umr.jpg

Can't find my SPV north east atlas at the mo but I don't think the freight route goes through union station - I can reccomend a trip north to Point of Rocks by MARC if you want a mix of freight and passenger trains

Pic from Point of Rocks

y19uc8.jpg

You'll find it's virtually all loco hauled push pull on the commuter rail side, and plenty of loco hauled on the Amtrak side also

There is so much to see in DC - but not so much in the way of railways.

If your interests also extend to aeronautics then the Air and Space Museum is a must-see.

I have an impression that Smithsonian Institute has a railway collection that is not too shabby but I don't know what is exhibited today.

Of the Smithsonian museums, the National Museum of American History has a transportation collection that does feature railways, but I remember seeing a lot more exhibits from a visit many years ago.

The National Museum of American History is worth visiting. Their exhibitions change but they do maintain some very "American" artifacts that are popular - from Lincoln's hat to Judy Garland's ruby slippers and Seinfeld's puffy shirt. (I can't guarantee that all of these are on display.)

As far as railways go, Baltimore is not far from DC (about 40 miles). The B&O museum is probably the largest railway focused museum in the DC area. I have not been there but it is somewhere that I would like to visit. The focus of the museum is an original roundhouse, but there is a collection outside as well. I couldn't find a useful catalogue of the collection on their website.

Get ready for heat, next week the mid-atlantic is expected to hit + 100f and high humidity............Washington gets very, very hot in the Summer. The subway is mildly interesting but the Smithsonian is the best.

Best, Pete.

Hi

I usually end up spending a few hours in DC on my US trips, last time I picked up a hire car after arriving from Chicago. Union station is worth exploring, had a buffalo burger just of the main entrance. There is a good view to be had from the garage. I have taken a trip to Florida Avenue, first stop out on the metro, and spend a bit of time watching train movments in from the station to Ivy City Depot, lots of engine and coaches, shunters, light engine movements from Amtrak, MARC, and VRE. Ive also taken a DUCK tour from out side the station.

The B&O museum in Baltimore is worth a visit If you dont have a car use MARC and a taxi the museum is in area you dont want to be walking around like a tourist too much. If you time it right you can get a PENN line train on the way out and a CAMDEN line train on the way back (Camden line only runs in the morning and evening peaks). A little further away approx 150miles ish is the Strasburg Railway not far from Lancaster PA, all steam operation wooden boded coaches with the Railroad museum of PA over the road, but you would need an early start and a hire car.

doodaa

Archived