First attempt at weathering a Modern Image Diesel

I have weathered a few steam engines over the years, but this is my first attempt at a modern loco. It's a little scary attacking a loco with the paint and air brush, but this was a £35 loco, not a £300 one so I didn't feel too bad. I have tried to go for heavy use, but still in good condition. I painted the sides with a watered down grey/brown acrylic mix, then took it straight off with downward strokes of kitchen roll and then vertical strokes of acrylic thinner with cotton buds. Then I airbrushed the roof with roof grime and a little black around the exhausts. The next job is to detail the buffer beam and weather the chassis, before putting it all back together. I have surprised myself with this as, to my eyes, it has the level of subtlety I was after and a grimy, but not clapped out look.

20230410_172207.jpg

20230410_172155.jpg

20230410_172143.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have finished the class 56- frame dirt on the underframe, followed by dry brushing oily steel on the buffer heads and cab steps. A tiny amount of Vallejo 'oil stains' on the tanks and a small amount of 'engine grime' on the axleboxes and springs. I am very happy with how this has turned out and to my eyes it looks a lot more realistic now- not bad for a 40+ year old mould!

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

• Like 12