Dapol 00 Scale Class 122 Bubblecar pickup problem.

JST

This loco keeps cutting out and I am sure it is the pickups. I want to get the keeper plates off the get the axles out to get at the bearings and pickups. However, I cannot find a service sheet or parts diagrams for this loco and don't want to break anything by forcing it off. Any help would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, JST said:

This loco keeps cutting out and I am sure it is the pickups. I want to get the keeper plates off the get the axles out to get at the bearings and pickups. However, I cannot find a service sheet or parts diagrams for this loco and don't want to break anything by forcing it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Quite a bit of discussion in the existing thread including a comment about unclipping the cover to get at the drive chain etc.

The relevant post in the main thread is dated  4/1/18. The pictures are no longer showing but here is the text I took a copy of. (There are some more recent photos of the motor etc, in one of the threads)

1. Body removal is straight forwards, it just up clips, either side at either end, i’d Start with the open end, as the guards van end has exhaust pipes that sit just under the chassis your removing, and this way you can slide it slightly away from the cab.

Fortunately the screws you need to remove are all different sizes throughout this exercise, so just keep the count correct..1 bogie retainer, 1 pcb retainer, 2 gearbox retainers, 4 seat retainers.

2. 4 screws hold the seats on, these are straight forwards to remove and the seats lift straight off.

3. Remove the bogie retaining screw, and the pcb retainer

4. Slide the bogie side to side (don’t lower it out at is stage) and undo the two gearbox retaining screws.

5. The bogie now has movement in all directions, hold it with the frame and flip it sideways, I used the smallest screw in My jewellers screwdriver set to unclipped the gearbox cover and flip it upwards towards the chassis. (Flip the whole chassi/bogie over and repeat for the other side, again don’t let the bogie drop out, it’s still connected by the pickups).

6. Using a small screwdriver, slide up the plastic cover that protects the pickups.

7. Finally, lift the pcb cover, approx 4mm above the chassis, and now for the greasy bit, using your fingers, or tweezers to pull out the worm/shaft, if it doesn’t immediately move, turn the worm or lift the pcb a little higher, it’s loose fit.

8. Reassemble again, in reverse order, slide the plastic cover back over the gearbox (it sits inside the pickups, so sometime you need to tweak the pickup ends out a little, then snap fit the gearbox lid, turn it right way up, add the pcb screw (the smallest screw you have),then the two gear box retainers, then the fat stubby screw to hold the bogie, add the seats and their 4 screws, finally add the body, starting with the guards van end, and sliding the exhausts under the frame, beware of the tail lamp irons, and finally snap it back together.