Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

CR 812 chip

dexterph5

I'm thinking of going to DCC/sound and I was wondering what to put into my Bachmann Caledonian 812. It needs a next 18 decoder and it already has a prefitted speaker. I assume I need a sound chip with steam sounds for it. I know many dcc chips have wiring for a speaker fitted to them. I've taken it apart but I see no wires coming out of the loco to connect to the prefitted speaker.  If it makes any difference I live in the US, but i buy from the UK all the time. If you find an appropriate product could you send me a link in the comments? I'm new to this and I have yet to get any DCC chips or a controller.

-Dexter

A Next18S (sound) decoder connects to a built in speaker via two of the socket pins. The speaker likely connects to the loco PCB simply by press touch contacts, hence why no obvious wires. If a decoder has a speaker plug as well (e.g. HM7000-N18TXS) this will be in parallel to the speaker pin connections, so either - or can be used. 

• Like 1