NCE Procab will not work with my Powercab?

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

An odd thing this, last time I used my system before the Mansfield Show in March all was well, but at the show the Procab refused to get past the initial boot phase when plugged into the RHS socket. 

I did a lot of swapping around with a fellow operators kit and basically my coiled cable and handset worked on his layout, his cable and Procab worked on my layout. 

When I got home I tried to further diagnose the issue. I had updated the firmware on my Powercab at Christmas, so I put the old chip back, still no joy. I have two coiled cables and two panels, tried every combination of them too.

I even put the old firmware chip in the Procab handset which turned it into a Powercab, but that also would not connect to the "proper" powercab.

Yes, they all have different cab addresses and I did try switching them around too.

Anyone else had something similar?

I'm loathed to spend money and it still not working. I'd rather cut my losses and get a Z21.....

• RMweb Premium

Our club has recently acquired a small portable O gauge layout. It generally uses both locos and (NCE) Power/Pro cabs borrowed from the much larger O gauge club layout that has 8 Power/Pro cabs.

We've found that unless the PowerCab is set as Cab No. 2, none of the ProCabs will get past the boot-up stage when relying on the PowerCab to be the master cab.. The manual does imply that the PowerCab has to be cab number 2 and only suggests 3, 4 & 5 as the other usable cab numbers.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ray H said:

Our club has recently acquired a small portable O gauge layout. It generally uses both locos and (NCE) Power/Pro cabs borrowed from the much larger O gauge club layout that has 8 Power/Pro cabs.

We've found that unless the PowerCab is set as Cab No. 2, none of the ProCabs will get past the boot-up stage when relying on the PowerCab to be the master cab.. The manual does imply that the PowerCab has to be cab number 2 and only suggests 3, 4 & 5 as the other usable cab numbers.

Pretty certain that's how they are set up, but I will double check 🙂

If you decide to get a new system the Z21 is easy to use and install and you can use your mobile phone and almost any mobile device for control, a visitor can easily get access and start driving a loco, a very convenient and easy system and to my mind it’s not dear for what you get!

regards Mike 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Sometimes you need to start up with the Power Cab on its own, then after, say, 10 secs, plug in the Pro Cab handset set to an acceptable Cab Number.

It depends on the Power Cab hardware version.

Try it.

Dave.

Yes, tried all that too 😕