RMweb

Irish NG heritage railways and remains

Rob K

Hi

I'm off to Ireland in June/July.

The basic route is a triangle; Dublin/Galway/Donegal/Dublin

Any particular recommendations for NG heritage sites or remains ? Any any last chances to see Bord Na Mona in action ?

Any suggestions would be very welcome

• RMweb Premium

West Clare Railway at Moyasta Junction, you should get a ride. Cavan & Leitrim at Dromod. Both very friendly. Check out the remains of both lines by road. Donegal station museum and the Glenties line might be running. Other closed lines and Bord na Mona (also mainly closed) along the way.

Dava

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Is there still railway stuff at the Guinness theme park museum? They had some NG stock when I was there in the 90s, including one of the narrow gauge locos. 

Yeah. We went there a couple of years ago ( weekend only) . Some good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

We are back from our Irish trip.. jolly good fun.

We managed a walk on the Burtonport extension, a trip on the Donegal at Fintown, a visit to the Donegal station museum and a trip on the Cavan at Dromod.

All recommended but hard to see any of them making great strides.

Fintown is a nice run in nice scenery. The staff were not that chatty . Quite well patronised on the day of our visit.

Donegal museum is good but very hard to get clear photos of the loco and stock. The very nice man in charge was talking up the prospects of laying a short line ( about 1k, through the cattle mart)

The C and L at Dromod was a bit of a let down. The loco and carriage are nice but the ride is very short and then it is just a wander through a scrap yard. Facilities were pretty poor and rather run down. .

I will  try and load some photos

• Like 1