Minding the gap

GloryDays

It should, but I didn't notice. Perhaps the running rails in the point guide the coupling out of the way while the 4th rail after the point is more of a head on collision. But I think it is only a problem for one of the tracks... more playing with trains required!

Edit: I took an earlier picture and I've marked the collision point. Perhaps the 4th rail didn't seat properly after ballasting.

20230402_124148.jpg.ea6dd55755b16497abedfd44c9e743ed.jpg.b20074296888dedcd51bc4f8755343ab.jpg

Edited by GloryDays
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update. The layout is packed up into two 90x40x40 boxes. The front facia is painted in primer and should get its grey color over the weekend.

I've had some spare time which I used to cover the coaches in satin varnish and they are now back together.

Thry will need interior lighting and the brake coaches will need red oil lamps... but that's for the future.

IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpeg.ca0fd171365b21a7c970831459d522e3.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend was the show at Alkmaar and -to no fault of the show's organisation- it was the weirdest show weekend I've had.

It all started upon loading the layout Saturday morning. It... well, it fell apart. Literally. Let me explain.

Mind the gap has three scenic boards that sit on two bases. These bases each sit on a pair of legs. These bases have seen a dozen shows by now and have been around the block. But this time, just about all of the glue joints failed on the left hand base. I was left with 11 wooden parts and a pessimistic feeling about erecting "Mind the gap" at the show.

Without the base, the layout would simply not connect to the rest of the club. Oh dear, with only 2 hrs of driving and worrying between me and the show.

Amazingly... the wooden pieces somehow supported the layout above, although it felt like assembling a Jenga tower.

20240217_115545.jpg.df46349374b00557022a9405bbe41b5b.jpg

During the show "Mind the gap" performed well, even if I did forget to bring part of the roof on day 1.

I then had to pack the layout and protect it from the rain after the show. Boy there was a lot of rain!

Back at home, the final surprise was that the most vulnerable parts of the layout - the roof I forgot earlier and the stairs - had been damaged. The stairs are badly damaged but the roof can be fixed. Pictures will follow shortly.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2024 at 19:57, GloryDays said:

the coupling was far too low.

I’ve had droopy Heljan couplings.  A sliver of (say) 10thou plasticard in the NEM mount can help it stay up.  Possibly the Hornby coupling is thicket and achieving the same result.

Paul.

A few pictures of the damaged sustained in transport from last week's show.

On both stairs, the railings are damaged with pieces broken and missing. As a result, I am going to scrap both.

Sad news, but they will be replaced with something even more fitting!

20240225_205007.jpg.a2688757332c1187049e0af8f054440d.jpg

20240225_204941.jpg.a0388f4a00fc0585b43035980186de0f.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...

After the show I stored the layout in the attic and didn't really look at it until yesterday. It's in such a sore state I am tempted to rename it "In Dire Straits".

I have been tearing up all the bits that didn't work or were damaged beyond repair. For the moment I'm reducing the layout by 1/3rd, to 1m80 or about 6 feet. This should make everything more managable.

• Friendly/supportive 3