New space, new layout

Gedward

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with building a layout on castors?

I hope to move into my new house in the near future, which has a railway room measuring just shy of 20' x 8'. I'm hoping to make the layout mobile for two reasons.

1. Would want to move the layout a couple of feet away from the wall to allow occasional access to a loft area above it.

2. If the layout was mobile, than I wouldn't be limited to a depth of 3 foot as I'd be able to access the back. The backscene would be attached permanently to the wall.

As the layout is based solely on a quayside, with a hillside village running along the entire background, like a typical of Cornish harbour. I plan to build the benchwork from an 18mm plywood, open grid chassis. Which would then allow for all the different heights, from sea level up to the top of the hills. Early thoughts is to use 6 or 8 industrial castors with brakes under each leg. I'm not sure I'd be able to move a 20' table though and may need to build it in two halves.

Peasevern yard is built on castors but slightly differently to your use case as mine are mounted on the  bottom of the board for transport to shows. I am not sure about 20', that is a long length and I guess you are mounting them on the bottom of legs? That feels quite an ask to move without the risk of the layout toppling over, you might be OK with solid floor such as solid wood or laminate but I wouldn't want to try it on carpet personally 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dave John said:

This might provide a few ideas. Adds a bit to the initial cost, but has made maintenance of both the layout and the room much easier. 

Thanks Dave. 

I'm liking the idea of attaching the castors to the sides like this, preferable over attaching to end grain. And the levelling ability is perfect too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Peasevern yard is built on castors but slightly differently to your use case as mine are mounted on the  bottom of the board for transport to shows. I am not sure about 20', that is a long length and I guess you are mounting them on the bottom of legs? That feels quite an ask to move without the risk of the layout toppling over, you might be OK with solid floor such as solid wood or laminate but I wouldn't want to try it on carpet personally 

Thanks mate. 

I will be using wood laminate flooring throughout the railway room. I agree that 20' is a big ask. So will endeavour to build in two sections using the usual flap connectors commonly seen on many exhibition layouts. Don't think there's any chance of it falling over as each board would be roughly 10' x 5'.

My layout Swan Hill is on castors.  I've tried to photo the set up - see below.  The layout is two sections of 1850 x 600mm carried on 4 frames, each with castors.  There are short 600 x 600 sections each end, at least one of which needs to be removed before the layout can be shunted about on its castors - plus removing shelves and general accumulation of stuff!  Caastors are from Hafele  https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product/single-wheel-castor-swivel-with-or-without-brake-wheel-50-75-mm-plate-fixing/P-00869467, swivel type with brake.  Height djustment is at the top of the frame so that I can see the straight edge/spirit level whilst I'm adjusting things.  The frames are slotted to allow for the fixings bolts to be moved up and down (only a small amount). The short end sections are only necessary because the layout is tight between walls each end and it can only be moved safely by pulling out one end, then the other - thus the swivel castors.  I wish I'd seen @Dave John's arrangement before I built Swan Hill, the lift up top would be a real bonus - I hate soldering upside down for those repairs or extras that need doing 5 minutes after running everything back into place,

Frame1.jpg.cad94f6567dba76562f08c1a7769ecd8.jpg

Frame2.jpg.9dc8aa8353e948db1e5e81d570773321.jpg

Frame3.jpg.2ed6d22fa8443baf198526d400f94c77.jpg

• Like 4