Mold issues

I buy a lot of my train related stuff used, mainly using Hattons trunk service as I live in the US. I’ve received at least a couple of locos that smell of mold, no visual signs but definitely a strong mold smell to both the model and packaging. So much so that they make a large room smell, although it does seem to dissipate.

I happen to have an o-zone generator and have used it to nuke ants in a truck I used to own. I’ve read it works well on mold so I’m going to try it now. I did search here for any related discussions but didn’t see any so thought I’d mention it in case others run into the same issue.

IMG_3704.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I have never detected a smell of mould,  however, some items (very few) from the store reek of tobacco smell.

Is that because smoking is allowed at Hattons, or because the 2nd hand stuff on sale, came from a smokers home? I would hope not the former, but not much can be done with the latter, except leave the stuff outside out of the damp for as long as possible.

I let the models breathe for a couple of hours and the smell is virtually gone, probably 10% of what it was before. I can only smell it if I hold it close to my face.

I hadn’t thought about tobacco, but thinking about it I’m surprised nothing I’ve received used has smelt like tobacco yet. I’m glad though as that would be harder to get rid of.

On 11/05/2023 at 02:42, GWR-fan said:

I have never detected a smell of mould,  however, some items (very few) from the store reek of tobacco smell.

Hopefully, they're not also stained yellow - like the interior of a second-hand Morris Marina I once had the 'pleasure' of driving!