Maerklin 'C' Track Adapted for DC

The Impermanent Way is my current  modus operandi in layout building.  Every time trains run the track goes different places.  As part of this I am experimenting with using Maerklin C track for DC running.  A small operation with a pair if snips at each end of a piece of track and voila - AC becomes DC. ( I have yet to figure out what to do with points/turnouts... ) I was wondering if anyone else has any experience to share  in this field of experimentation?  C track is very versatile and to my eye has a pleasing profile.  Maerklin also make a useful range of accessories for it..

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks - I'll check it out... It depends if the dimensions of the track are the identical - Lengths of the straights and radii of the curves and so on.. I managed to adapt some Marklin points to DC...

It seems that they do - I have been wasting my precious time - an interesting waste of time - It would be cleaner and simp0ler to use Trix! The good news is it looks as though the Trix and Marklin will click together

TrixDC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2023 at 13:52, Bill said:

The Impermanent Way is my current  modus operandi in layout building.  Every time trains run the track goes different places.  As part of this I am experimenting with using Maerklin C track for DC running.  A small operation with a pair if snips at each end of a piece of track and voila - AC becomes DC. ( I have yet to figure out what to do with points/turnouts... ) I was wondering if anyone else has any experience to share  in this field of experimentation?  C track is very versatile and to my eye has a pleasing profile.  Maerklin also make a useful range of accessories for it..

I am doing something similar and have purchased a quantity of Trix C Track. I would like to figure out the possibility of converting the Marklin C track to 2-rail as they do not produce a 3-way point in the Trix range at the moment. I was using Bachmann EZ-track for my "Floorboard Central" as I obtained a vast quantity of it very cheaply, but I am not pleased with the messing about for setting it up and packing it away.

On 26/06/2023 at 03:05, hartleymartin said:

I am doing something similar and have purchased a quantity of Trix C Track. I would like to figure out the possibility of converting the Marklin C track to 2-rail as they do not produce a 3-way point in the Trix range at the moment. I was using Bachmann EZ-track for my "Floorboard Central" as I obtained a vast quantity of it very cheaply, but I am not pleased with the messing about for setting it up and packing it away.

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t49928-Use-AC-HO-Marklin-turnouts-with-DC-power-supply

This might help with a turnout/points conversion from Marklin AC to DC running.  

I managed to convert a RH turnout successfully. 

The three way should be possible to work out.

The main tricks are in

(1)  isolating the metal frog - Its a pressure fit and with some force it pops out  - then grind it down so it no longer connects to the rails

(2)  removing the flat metal piece that connects the switch blades. 

(3)  connecting up the rails to restore power to them

The video gives one the confidence to perform the necessary surgery. 

Its in German and the guy works very fast so I needed to keep stopping it... .

But one you get the principle its all good.

I too have a ton of EZ track.  The Trix track is easier to set up and break down.

Sometimes one simply has to bite the bullet  and write off the investment.

Such is the pain of learning.

Below is an image of the three way.

The way its constructed suggests it is one large frog.

It could be quite a headache !  It could be expensive to find out..MarklinTripleTurnout.jpg.04f86e51262f52cc449283719688eecf.jpg