The Crossing Keeper's daughter by C. Cornwell

This is an informative and entertaining novel about Life and working on the railway during the BR Modernisation plan and the Dr. Beeching era.It features the southern end of the Thame branch, around Wycombe to Bourne End.

The author, a retired signman, describes the workings of a mechanical signal box and explains bell codes and their associated rules. There is also a vivid description of a run in the cab of a class 47 on an unfitted mineral train over the Chilterns.

His fictional heroine faces misogyny and difficulties in seeking a career on the railway , yet finds some male mentors. She eventually finds employment , danger, adventure, tragedy and romance during the changing social mores of the 1960s. There are some sexual encounters but  this is true to the 1960s.

The railway enthusiast will find much detail to interest them. The social historian will find fascinating accounts of changes in employment and working practices, social attitudes and the changing roles of women which are set in a wider historical context.

Usual disclaimer - no connection with the author . Good value at £8.95 post free.

To order text the author on 07548 506 666.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting,  As far as I can recall the only unfitted freights over the Chiltern main line were the Kensal Green coal trains  from Woodford Halse which used to terminate at North Acton for onward tripping to the gas works.  They were just about the lasy booked steam worked longer distance freights to run in the London Division.  Ballast trains ran later of course but I can't think of any regular mineral flows over the Chiltern main line on the WR so perhaps on another route.

Lady Crossing Keepers were  a common sight from well before the 1960s, the oldest reference I can quickly find dates from 1950.   -  They were often the wives of railway staff who lived in what had originally been the Crossing Keeper's cottage.  They received the same basic rate of pay as men from the review of grades in the mid 1960s but were on different (poorer) conditions for most of the additional payments.  This approach appears to have been based on the fact that they seem to have been regarded as wives (and effectively as wives of railway staff in many cases).

In the second half of the 1960s there was apparently a particularly attractive Lady Crossing Keeper on the northern section of the Wycombe branch and it was reputedly the most frequently officially  visited level crossing on the London Division of the Western at that time.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your interest, Mike  .

The author doesn’t have a computer, BTW . All comments and mistakes are my own .

The novel is fictional but as far as I can see on railway matters, it is solidly based on facts .

The trip takes place on 27th June .. can’t find the year .

The heroine boards the freight  at Banbury station when it exits the yard . This just after 09.38 and the reporting number is 7V34 . The journey goes through Aynho Junction , Princes Risborough , West and then High Wycombe . She leaves the train after Beaconsfield at Seer green station where there’s a convenient platform . I’ve tried to focus on the essential details , but there’s a lot more .
I hope this gives a flavour of the authenticity of the railway history .

Thanks again .

Ken 

Edited by 1466
Added Banbury station at start of journey
  • Thanks 1

I saw this thread last week and got in touch with the author of the book, he sent me the book before I'd even written the cheque. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, especially as some of the locations are familiar to me.

Thank you for bringing the book to our attention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Living so close to the line in question, to my shame I have to admit to not having read this although many acquaintances have.  I believe the crossing in question was Spicer's Crossing, roughly halfway between Wooburn Green and Loudwater.  It had a tiny little hut that was too small to swing the proverbial cat in.  If you know where to look the nameboard survives at Didcot but all trace of the crossing itself is long gone.

• Like 1