Great Eastern Railway Wagon Decals

Hi, Following my decision to model a Great Eastern Railway Branch line I am researching the availability of items such as Wagon Decals. 

Also line side items, Mikes Models used to produce a nice GE water crane (I suspect long gone) any advice gratefully received.

David.

I'll be following this thread, but to start you off

https://www.powsides.co.uk/product.php/ger_open_wagons/?k=:::794648:0 - GER Open wagons

https://www.powsides.co.uk/product.php/ger_ventilated_vans/?k=:::794649:0 - GER ventilated vans

I haven't used either of these yet, but need to buy a pack of the later to renumber my Oxford rail vans.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thankfully I did get some helpful information on Decals, but nothing about the "Line side" accessories. It seems most of the "One man bands" who produced such amazing items in my youth have disappeared. 

I guess the GER is a minimum interest railway, at least Accurascale seem to have picked up the torch with their "Buckjumpers" (Various classes) so perhaps all is not lost. Sad the Hornby J15 isn't easily back dated. 

I should love to hear from anyone else who is modelling the GER.

Regards

David.

• Like 1

You might like to have a look through the modelling section of the Great Eastern Railway Society's website, which does contain some suggestions on lineside and infrastructure.

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/home/modelling

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/images/stories/documents/Modelling_the_railways_of_East_Anglia_in_4mm_Scale_Issue_8_February_2021_final.pdf (assuming you are modelling in 4mm scale).  Obviously not everything will be relevant to your time period as it includes items for those interested in something more recent that the pre-grouping era.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi,

Thanks, you know I had completely forgotten about the brilliant job Paul Goldsmith had done! (I think it must be "Oldtimers disease"!) I grew up in London, our back garden was adjacent to the Great Northern main line. I hope I don't cause too much offence if I say the sound/vibration of 'DELTIC' heading out of Kings Cross led me to spend Many years modelling Diesels. A Medical condition in my spine lead to a complete rethink from my "Whole Garage" layout to a much smaller semi portable! Regular visits to the 'Mid Suffolk Light Railway' suggested a Suffolk branch line.

Kind Regards

David.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

Hi,

Thanks, you know I had completely forgotten about the brilliant job Paul Goldsmith had done! (I think it must be "Oldtimers disease"!) I grew up in....

Thank you for your kind comment.  We are in the process of updating the 4mm Modelling document,  as there have been a few "new" items since last updated! 

Any comments, e&o, etc, please let me know.

Paulg 

• Like 1

Good Morning Paul,

Many thanks for the update.  I spent a while going through the existing version after getting the reminder it was there. Sadly the great majority of "Small manufactures" have disappeared , I guess the CV19 put the final straw onto many backs! 

Looking forward to the new issue.

Really enjoyed your item on the CDC class 68. 

Kind Regards

David.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Typeapproval said:

. Sadly the great majority of "Small manufactures" have disappeared , I guess the CV19 put the final straw onto many backs! 

Always worth looking on secondhand stalls at exhibitions, forums, websites etc - I picked up a Mallard Claud kit in "as new condition", with wheels, etc complete except motor, and a Mikes Models white metal GER water column, both long out of production, for less than the original kit prices at a recent exhibition. Just need to know what to look out for.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi,

Funny, I have a Mallard Claude kit untouched for thirty years! I open the box, shudder then put the lid back. I suppose I should look into passing it on to less of a coward🤔.

I do visit swatmeets, shows etc. so hopefully I can find some little treasure somewhere.

Kind Regards

David.

• Like 1

Hi the Mike's Models range was taken on by Holt Model Railways in Swansea. I bought some buffer stops from them some 10-15 years ago but I don't know if the whole range was available or if they still make them. Don't seem to have a website but they are still around.

• Like 1

The trick with rubdown transfers is to use scotch magic tape to hold down the transfer while you rub it down. It's sticky enough to hold everything down without ripping off the paint.

I did a short video on how to apply different types of transfers on my YouTube channel.

Marc 

Edited by MarcD
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1