Fleischmann DCC conversion/compatibility.

Dan Griffin

Hi, 

I have several Fleischmann locos, a Warship, a DB103 electric, and a couple of steam locos. They all have the same ‘silver seal’ type motor. 
However the motor housing/brush plate is live. 
is there any conversion kits, similar to the Hornby Conversions, or ways to easily convert these loco’s to DCC?

the plate that house brushes is live, will plastic screws isolate this?

thanks in advance.

Dan

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dan Griffin said:

will plastic screws isolate this?

Probably not as the motor armature shaft runs from the chassis side to the bearing on the front plate......

I have a way of converting the Hornby MK1 ringfield that copied the Fleischmann design, I'll see if I can dig out some pics later

• RMweb Gold

Sorry dan, forgot all about you. Here's what I do:

Firstly using a largish drill remove enough of the rivetted over brush guide to allow the front brush guide assembly (white plastic bit)  to be removed

DSC09437.JPG.d0ea4691b3852b8d457be748b73531a6.JPG

Drill out the remainder of the smaller hole in the front plate to match the larger original one (try not to damage the edge of the bearing like I did!)

DSC09439.JPG.9eacecca50efdec672682f3d838a6163.JPG

Drill and tap the plate with suitable small screws to secure the brush guide assembly to the front plate - you could araldite it on, but I prefer a more mechanical arrangement.

DSC_0738.JPG.3add397333c640b776ca24418b129437.JPG

Brushes are now isolated from the chassis and can be wired up for DCC

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Sorry dan, forgot all about you. Here's what I do:

Firstly using a largish drill remove enough of the rivetted over brush guide to allow the front brush guide assembly (white plastic bit)  to be removed

DSC09437.JPG.d0ea4691b3852b8d457be748b73531a6.JPG

Drill out the remainder of the smaller hole in the front plate to match the larger original one (try not to damage the edge of the bearing like I did!)

DSC09439.JPG.9eacecca50efdec672682f3d838a6163.JPG

Drill and tap the plate with suitable small screws to secure the brush guide assembly to the front plate - you could araldite it on, but I prefer a more mechanical arrangement.

DSC_0738.JPG.3add397333c640b776ca24418b129437.JPG

Brushes are now isolated from the chassis and can be wired up for DCC

Thank you very much. This seems a lot simpler than trying to but the insulated parts from Germany. As no one ships to the uk! I’ll give it ago and see how i get on 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...