Dapol Class 21 bogie sideframes

davknigh

I’d like to remove the bogie sideframes on my Dapol class 21 to better see what the prospects are for converting it to P4 gauge but am baffled as to how to remove the sideframes without resorting to brute force. I can see lugs at either end on the bogie that look like they *should* be the answer to the problem but they won’t budge and there’s no obvious place to insert the traditional thin bladed screwdriver to pry things open. I’ve successfully done Bachmann and Heljan diesels with no problem but this one has me flummoxed for the moment. All ideas and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

TIA

David

David,

If they are the same as the Class 22 the traditional thin bladed screwdriver method works but they need a bit more force that the Bachmann bogies - the locating lug is bigger.

There are some P4 conversions of the Cl 22 documented here and on the S4 Forum which may help.

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeremy. I’ve looked at the conversion articles on both forums and they are useful but jump in after the bogies have been disassembled which is why I’ve posted here. I shall try again, carefully…

Cheers,

David

Problem sorted. I took some advice from the Scalefour Forum that got me pointed in the right direction. Basically the best starting point is the inboard end of the bogie, I pared back the lugs a bit in the middle so as to get a starting point to wedge in the tip of a scriber and with careful levering the bogie side frame popped off.

IMG_0243.jpeg.956037b8fd523616733664ff9ddd1028.jpeg

Next up, re-profile and re-gauge the wheels.

Cheers,

David

• Informative/Useful 1