Woodburn - TT:120 BR Blue and dirt.

froobyone

1 minute ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Geeeteck printer around 100quid bargain..some first gen anycubics quite cheep too ...its the other bits and bobs you end up needing that cost.....I bought one as seemed a shame to power up the big boy for little prints....its back in its box as it doesn't support lychee slicer that's taken me 2 years to master only uses Chitubox slicer ..I'm a slow learner!....but saying that I'm printing a foot bridge for a local club layout and my laptop has launched its teddy out and says I don't have a graphics card on board! Must have as I've printed footsteps!🤨....local Internet down as well so it's all gone pete tong....Time for a early bed

Layout looks mint by the way

G

I've got my eye on a £100 resin printer. Might be the same one. Plus another hundred for a washer/curer. 

Sorry to hear of your printing woes. Not sure how new your graphics card drivers are, but they might need updating. I've had some software not work because of wrong drivers.

Hope you get it sorted. Thank you for the kind words.

Dan

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all. 

Short update. I've ballasted the sidings, but they still await painting and as a result look terrible.

20240509_142141.jpg.8faaa1d8e4555c4c0464163e876e68e3.jpg

20240509_142206.jpg.d0a96a6531e3e957009bd9989a208a0f.jpg

But in other news, my HST power cars arrived! They look and sound magnificent. I've still got some Mk3s on order, which should arrive next week. Once my points go on to my account I'll purchase another and that will only leave three left to get to make up my Midland seven car rake. 

20240509_191138.jpg.980117752f23ee2d560f5643b5f7d6c7.jpg

20240509_191215.jpg.660c4eb981b87e30f82bbeb94875ab92.jpg

I can't express the joy of seeing and hearing the HST run through Woodburn. The last time I had a new HST was 1979! The only downside currently is the lack of consisting in the HM7000 app. To add insult to injury, I should have a Hornby Select controller somewhere, but for the the life of me, it remains elusive. :( So I either wait for the app to support ghost consisting, or I have to shell-out for a new controller. I can't seem to find any word on when the app will be updated.

Patience, they say, is a virtue. Wrong. Patience is having something better to do while you wait. You know what I've got to do while I wait? You've guessed it. More ballasting...

Until next time.

Dan

• Like 8

• froobyone changed the title to Woodburn - TT:120 BR Blue and dirt.

Hi all,

Renamed the thread to more appropriately describe the contents and to keep the TT:120 naysayers out. :P

Not much modelling done over the past few days, but two more coaches added to the HST set.

20240511_163153_crop.jpg.255b59bf1e768fb5370fb94f2e65dc90.jpg

I should have been airbrushing the sidings, but how can one be expected to do any work when one can listen to a screaming Valenta for hours.

20240511_172728.jpg.de0ccf0d819666fa67b64b8ab373b72c.jpg

I also need to start on designing the station buildings and canopies. I'm looking forward to that/dreading it in equal measure.

Until next time.

Dan

• Like 13

Hi all,

Some work happened today. I sent the HST to the back of the layout so I wouldn't be distracted by her beauty and got down the business of painting the sidings. I was, as always, grateful to the inventor of the airbrush Sir Archibald Airbrush (1784-1846). I would not have liked to have had to paint it by hand. Still wrecked my back though. If it's worth doing. It's worth dying for.

I've also started on the grass layering. This is during the grime and decline era, so there's a fair bit more to do. Additionally, I didn't want completely uniform ballast, so after painting I've added fresh ballast here and there.

20240512_172633.jpg.8019f362b7f6da7868bca31aa5dcd3ec.jpg

20240512_172711.jpg.0fc99d4fa69948196b8db5b537f5accd.jpg

20240512_172756.jpg.a8e9eec3e137f820e8186fb472d6f9d2.jpg

20240512_172908.jpg.f316073fe6999eaf09d6e0f814af251b.jpg

In other news, the sock I was using as a vacuum filter to catch the static grass, got sucked into the vacuum cleaner with a satisfying and at the same time worrying tthhhhhsssswooooop! I then had to figure out how to take apart the vacuum to retrieve said sock, before I got caught. I'm not stupid. I had started a small diversionary fire in the the kitchen while I figured it out. Ten minutes later I had the sock and the fire was mostly put out. Success. I may invest in my own vacuum in the future though. I feel like, statistically speaking, it might be safer. :D

By for now.

Dan

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

Hi all,

More grass today *cough* and I've started the mocking up of the road bridge that will keep the eye away from the tight curves (in theory).

20240513_152116.jpg.af363c3eff7ef03ed47c42d647094798.jpg

20240513_152038_crop.jpg.416a913becc269df05d5f87fb8a4c3ab.jpg

That's all for today.

Dan

• Like 9

Hi Dan,

It is really great to see you progressing the layout build in leaps and bounds. That girder bridge will surely look fantastic when its all scenically blended in. Probably be a signature feature of the layout.

Also, loving the HST, especially mixed liveries of the blue grey to IC Exec transition period. Rarely see that modelled, nice one.

All the best

TT100 Diesels

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi Dan,

It is really great to see you progressing the layout build in leaps and bounds. That girder bridge will surely look fantastic when its all scenically blended in. Probably be a signature feature of the layout.

Also, loving the HST, especially mixed liveries of the blue grey to IC Exec transition period. Rarely see that modelled, nice one.

All the best

TT100 Diesels

Thank you. :) 

I liked the Mk2s when they were mixed together as well. Once I've obtained the two HST rakes, I will run them as complete sets and mixed sets, just for variety. 

My chosen era covers 82-86, mostly because that's when I was a teenager and also because there were some cracking bands around. That fits nicely with the decay and sectorisation. I may have a cheeky Railfreight Red Stripe 31 on there one day.

Thanks again

Best

Dan

• Like 4

Hmmm. After a number of fiddly minutes putting together some laser cut fencing I made, I'm not sure I'm loving the mesh size on the fence. :-/ I can't find anything smaller. Although there are tighter square meshes, they feel a bit too modern. I'll have to have a think about it.

20240514_144925_crop.jpg.cbf7fb560cfe3762379fd3029b1e437e.jpg

I did t-titify my telephone poles, although they were mostly without wires during my modelled era, not completely though and up near Sheffield/Rotherham there were still some wires up. So I may string them, I may not.

20240514_153938.jpg.bea2de57b0c71b8d5707b6ea54b321c2.jpg

Not that anyone will see the wires, partly because they are so small and mostly because no one will come to see it in the first place.

Didn't have much modelling mojo today. Awoke to some sobering news about an old school friend. Another taken too soon. I'll raise a glass of single malt to him tonight and back to business tomorrow.

Best

Dan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Hi all,

This week I finally ballasted and painted the platform roads. Which was as dull as you can imagine. I think I'll give it another tickle before it's finished. The platforms that I've been using for spacing will eventually be replaced with the final versions, along with associated holes for lighting, canopy supports etc.

20240518_153617.jpg.ba203dac20a8aa435b4caeddd5d02204.jpg

20240518_153643-crop.jpg.e0e0737e9b7caf1eaa06e03d9519ed17.jpg

20240518_153701.jpg.9c614aca42903f5c3151c79a4a8cd974.jpg

20240518_153713-crop.jpg.37d37a2454f0c35e2eaaa1dceabf923f.jpg

Next job I can't put off, is the design and construction of the station and platform canopies. This will probably be the most difficult part of the whole build. The dimensions are going to have to be spot-on as part of the main building drops down to the lower level entrance. Now I need to look at 2.5 million stations to get some inspiration...

Until next time.

Dan

• Like 8

17 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Nice layout.

really shows the potential of the gauge 

Thanks Rob.

Today I finished off the track weathering and then got sucked into a side quest. 

I wanted to see if I could light one of my Mk3s. More as a proof of concept and to see if I could pull it off with what I had lying around. Luckily I had lying around some LED strip. I cut it to size, wrapped some wire around the four axles, added a pinch of resistor and voila.

20240519_160441.jpg.27761d8213e9a43fc714cdf83fddad59.jpg

Not shown in the above photo is the thin styrene piece that covers the lights and acts as a diffuser. It just presses onto the blue tack.

20240519_160746.jpg.dfa2ade3a4cfd3cb7ef6f77cdfb816a7.jpg

Now I've proved to myself I can do it, I will source the bits needed to do it properly and do the rest of the coaches. Namely rectifiers, capacitors and brass foil for better pickups. I'll also dim the lights a bit as everyone would be getting a free tan on the way to Rotherham...

Best

Dan

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

19 hours ago, froobyone said:

Now I've proved to myself I can do it, I will source the bits needed to do it properly and do the rest of the coaches. Namely rectifiers, capacitors and brass foil for better pickups.

There are quite a few YouTube videos available (for example ThisWayWorks, although I think he makes his own rectifier out of diodes whereas I've seen other vids where they buy them ready-made) - they give an idea of values for capacitors and resistors, plus the wiring for the recifier - very useful for a numpty like me. I'm tempted but I'm sure I'd just end up burning my fingers.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Small electrical components arrived today and I've re-lit the first coach and added lighting to a second one. They now have full wave rectifiers and two capacitors each. The capacitors fit quite nicely in the toilets. Please use the station toilets before boarding.

20240521_141802_crop.jpg.8994a6dae2ba7fad8de2ca7efd9a5144.jpg

The one thing I did lack, was thin wiring. Getting it all tucked away with the thicker gauge wire was a challenge.

The placement of the brass pickups is less than ideal. I will have a think about a better system. What looks like blutack is in fact a NASA developed special substance, only available to a select few. It works just like blutack. :D

20240521_134451_crop.jpg.1b2582177531e3f5a0aa3ce814d84103.jpg

It's worth mentioning that I know next to naff all about electronics. Not because I'm not interested in the subject, but being colour-blind has always made me very nervous. As a result, I've stayed away from anything more technical than plugs and LED lights. I needn't have been worried. I hardly electrocuted myself at all.

What I do really really suck at though is soldering. Took me an hour to do each coach. Maybe when I've reached the last one, I'll be doing it in 55 minutes.

20240521_185455_crop.jpg.ff458d28583b8e1d929c0c9afc8de51b.jpg

Two down, six to go.

Best

Dan

• Like 4

14 hours ago, froobyone said:

The placement of the brass pickups is less than ideal. I will have a think about a better system. What looks like blutack is in fact a NASA developed special substance, only available to a select few. It works just like blutack. :D

20240521_134451_crop.jpg.1b2582177531e3f5a0aa3ce814d84103.jpg

Just a thought... the guy from This Way Works put the brass pickup under the axles so that it was held in place by the 'spring' of the curved brass plus the wires which go through the bogie pivot - no blue tack required, although I don't remember if he used glue as well...

Here's a screen snip from the video and a link - this is also from a TT:120 Mk3 so it should be the same:

https://youtu.be/9POMLNBr7h4?list=PLkPvy91H4ByGHFYJBJjbmOlShnvu2JBLS

2024-05-22TWWvideosnip.png.b190ffe230ff56c32da87753bb27459d.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Porfuera said:

Just a thought... the guy from This Way Works put the brass pickup under the axles so that it was held in place by the 'spring' of the curved brass plus the wires which go through the bogie pivot - no blue tack required, although I don't remember if he used glue as well...

Here's a screen snip from the video and a link - this is also from a TT:120 Mk3 so it should be the same:

https://youtu.be/9POMLNBr7h4?list=PLkPvy91H4ByGHFYJBJjbmOlShnvu2JBLS

2024-05-22TWWvideosnip.png.b190ffe230ff56c32da87753bb27459d.png

I've decided to use DCC concepts spring pickups as that type seems to work well on my Pullmans. It may be a while before I get any though, so I'll give the above placement a try. Thank you.

Dan

• Like 1

More lights and electricals fitted to two more coaches today. I tried a different approach to the placement of the gubbins and it worked out much better.

20240522_150325.jpg.331c163d736ed37ed187b44f3e53169d.jpg

I used the space in the underframe cowling on each side of the weight. Making sure to insulate the large piece of metal mere millimetres from sparky things. The pic above shows the internals of the TRUB.

20240522_164122_crop.jpg.f012cd18e9aa10b9bee95e2a58ede042.jpg

One thing that is apparent, is the difference in colour between the 1st class and 2nd class coaches. There's more orange in the 1st class than getting a slap from Tango man! Even though I'll regret it, I'm going to try and paint the internals with black arms rests and white corridor walls. It may calm it down a little.

20240522_164231.jpg.7ff4ffe7473fe9476b466d049e4bb9d4.jpg

20240522_164034_crop.jpg.8647df37ffa7e977ca5012e13f3e64d5.jpg

Last pic doesn't even show the coaches, but I liked it. That's the lighting jobs out of the way until I get the rest of the coaches. Tomorrow I'll try and find something else to do instead of getting on with designing the station...

Until next time.

Dan

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’d love an HST, and don’t have space in OO.

what are the running qualities of that one like ?

On DCC with the factory fitted TXS it runs really well on my rails. I have had the occasional drop-out but only after I've been adding weathering to parts of track and there was some overspray. Neither my power car or dummy car have stay-alives fitted. She will crawl along very smoothly when required and she sounds magnificent, although I did turn the volumes down quite far. Another nice feature is the automatic cooling fan noise which kicks in if it stays idle for too long. It's a highly recommended model and will be a firm favourite of mine for years to come. I suppose that's a given though, seeing as my whole layout is being built for HSTs.

I hope you jump in and get one. Just don't buy up all the coaches until I've got my last four. :P

Best

Dan

• Like 1

Hi all. 

Not much modelling to report this week. I did have the granddaughters over at the weekend and they certainly enjoyed driving the trains. We then made twisted wire trees and clad them in DAS clay. I won't share picture of their trees, because I love my granddaughters...

In other news I've also ordered my Class 50 and Next18 TSX chip and spent some of my Hornby points on another BG Mk3. Three more to go.

Before I post this, I will proof-read it a number of times. This in no way guarantees it will be free of spelling mistakes, because I essentially turn dyslexic when I am tasked with checking words. 

A case-in-point is the High Speed Train clock I built for myself last year. Throughout the entire process I was extra extra vigilant, but I'd still typed a 4 instead of a 2 and yes, I didn't notice until the thing was fully put together. FFS!

I just had to change vigilant from vaginalent...

Until next time.

Dan

(I just had to change vigilant from vaginalent...)

front.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,

50 040 arrived today and I'm very pleased with her. I did have a small issue of derailing on one track join in the rural section. I tried a bunch of things to rectify it, which I won't go into because none of them worked. Instead I added a checkrail on the offending curve and all is well.

I installed the decoder very easily, but did manage to snap one of the jumper heads off despite being really careful. It's at the snowplough ended so not really visible. Although I'm not sure if I'll keep the ploughs on. I also managed to ping into oblivion several air pipes. I like to think there's a place in the universe where lost buffer beam accessories all gather, just like ballpoint pens do.

Anyway, I gave up after one and will probably have to take that one off anyway to remove the snowploughs.

I won't do a review of the 50 as I don't think I'm qualified enough to be able. However, I think it looks great. Drives great. Sounds great once you set the volume down. Lighting options are wide and varied. I especially like being able to turn off rear lights when attached to coaches. As usual, all the lights are too bright. I'll have a play with the CVs to see if I can't take some of the fire out of them.

20240530_172929.jpg.70ab9218004b24abcac2c445d1d05de5.jpg

This will be my last traction purchase for a good while. The next locomotive on my radar is the Class 31. As much as I like 37s, I will probably skip it and wait.

The HST also acquired another 2nd class coach and awaits the fitting of lighting. The rest of the HST consist also requires the pickups to be upgraded to pickup-springs. Hopefully get that done tomorrow if the weather brightens up. I don't fancy sitting in a cold shed.

I've got some longer static grass arriving on Saturday which will allow me to finish off the gap between the main lines.

I'll be heading to the Hull Model Railway Show on Sunday for some inspiration and maybe a cheeky bag of flock. See you there if you're going. You'll recognise me, because I look like a Froobyone. :P

Best

Dan

• Like 10

Hi all.

After an enjoyable visit to the Hull Model Railway show and subsequently going straight on Amazon and buying a e-link and RailMaster, today has been one filed with issues.

At first I couldn't get it to authorise. Installing a later version fixed that issue, but not before trying 200 different things first.

Then the e-link wouldn't connect to my laptop. It would thrown up the unrecognised device error which would then prevent me from plugging it in another port. Lots of restarted and robust language later and it connected. 

Then I had to go through the process of adding the rolling stock and setting the functions for the HM7000. That was a learning curve for sure.

So after at least three hours of messing, I finally had everything working. The 50 had completed a circuit and I sent the HST on a run. One of my turnouts wasn't set correctly which caused a derail and short and that sent me into the e-link wouldn't connect rabbit hole again. The only way I found to fix it was to change the com port. 

By this evening I had everything working nicely, but then inexplicably, my 50 stopped responding to commands. I could turn lights on and off and sound functions, but it wouldn't stop, change direction or move. I've decided to give it a break and try again tomorrow. 

I did finally have my HST set up as a consist though, so it's been worth it.

Best

Dan

• Friendly/supportive 4

Hi all.

Today I've ironed out the teething problems with the e-link and RailMaster and now everything is nominal. It's a great deal nicer to operate with a mouse and large screen than a phone screen. 

Once that was out of the way, I finished off the grass/weeds area between the station and the sidings. Added some flowers and such to add a little colour. Still needs a good vacuum once everything is dry, but I like the look of it. 20240604_145136.jpg.262ae3c77f7378ea4d3743025a566bf2.jpg

20240604_145152.jpg.cab889fc7c14f6a8d6f9dcdf51184722.jpg

20240604_145234.jpg.44c40e7e69634572516d9af0a8a77894.jpg

20240604_145212_crop.jpg.0790019c57e0082791b38a3b7c4ac740.jpg

I still haven't added the lights and the pickup upgrades to my Mk3s yet. The weather hasn't been super and it's been a little chilly in the shed for steady hands.

In the olden days, June used to be summer...

The weather-guesser says it might be sunny tomorrow. If it is, I might get them done.

Until next time.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi all,

Progress on the layout has slowed a little this week while I upgraded my Mk3s to spring pickups and fitted the lights to the latest coach. All went well. I also gave the wheels a quick clean while it was convenient.

I did also add some extra underbrush towards the bridge, but the focus of today was dealing with an issue left to me by me in the past. At the time I'd have flippantly said "That's future-me problems" and future-me is now and he isn't happy about it.

That problem is the one of motorised points. I had always planned on using point motors and avid viewers may remember, I managed to get a job-lot of them. All of them with frog switchers. However, every single one of them had pins than were about 3mm too short to be used with my baseboard. Fiddlesticks. Because I couldn't MacGyver my way around that, my build progress ground to a halt. Whilst I'm aware there are larger pins available, at the time I couldn't afford to buy them. So rather than lose momentum, I figured I could just add them later. I forward planned enough to make the sections with the points removable and have locating pins to ensure correct alignment. However, the track that leads to the next board isn't split at the join. At the time I wasn't in the best of health and couldn't physically get under the boards to do the wiring needed for four tracks x2. It would have been yet another blocker. 

So now I'm faced with motorising the points using above board motors. It will be no bother hiding them from view, but the issue is having points in the middle of tracks and access thereof.

So today I mocked up a proof of concept for some (overscale) point rodding. Whist there is a lot of mechanical drag, it seems to work very well. This is so MacGyver that the shafts for the bell cranks are actually track pins! Where there's a will..

20240606_210920.jpg.d2066627909339659786ff55ef2387ae.jpg

20240606_210913.jpg.424d11fe34ef041c904b7b898d9ec654.jpg

I'm wondering if I should make all the components again out of 1mm brass sheet. I think it would reduce the mechanical resistance, but I still don't really know if a point motor can throw much more than just a basic point blade. I also don't know if I have the artificing chops to be able to make something that small. Tomorrow I intend to test a point motor. If it does turn out to be weak-as, then I may go down the servo route, but that would make controlling everything from RailMaster a problem. We shall see.

Pics to show my working out.

Until next time or I electrocute myself.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Daniel,

Just a thought, if the point motor (solenoid) operating pin is too short for under baseboard mounting, why not simply extend the pin by using small diameter brass tube as a sheath then extend the pin by adding a length of appropriate diameter pin to make up the shortfall ?

Would save a lot of work, even though I am very impressed with your operational point rodding proof of concept.

Cheers

D.

• Like 1

Just now, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi Daniel,

Just a thought, if the point motor (solenoid) operating pin is too short for under baseboard mounting, why not simply extend the pin by using small diameter brass tube as a sheath then extend the pin by adding a length of appropriate diameter pin to make up the shortfall ?

Would save a lot of work, even though I am very impressed with your operational point rodding proof of concept.

Cheers

D.

I did initially consider extending, but when I priced up the bits I needed, it was out of the budget at the time. Good suggestion though. Thank you.

• Thanks 1