Getting back into model railways.. in 7mm

stanb

I've been busy putting mostly books on ebay.. quite a slow process I've found, so little bit slower with the production this week, but the mogo's are ready for priming

I'm toying with idea leaving the G43 in GWR grey (it would have been built post war, and I can assume the paint was quite good for a few years into the early 50's), and the G31 in bauxite, will see what they look like when primed. I've cut a couple of braces for the roofs, and will do them after painting, will be one less thing to mask

20230629_084607.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I've been procrastinating with the Mogos this week, somehow my newfound enthusiasm for etched brass was not matched by the thought of forming a rather thin sheet of plasticard for the roof. I also woosed out of the g43, bauxite she is...

Anyway, roofs are done, not as good as I would have liked ( maybe if I get stuck with another van like this I may be more prototypical and do it out of strips), but here they are. Not looking forward to decals as I have to put MOGO on with individual letters..

Anyways while entertaining my procrastination, I was suitably entertained building something that resembles a shelf..

I Think Morning st yard might be an appropriate name for my new extended test track

20230709_153512.jpg

20230709_153501.jpg

20230709_155634.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

ts been a while since an update ... been busy packaging up stuff and sending it out.. anyways I have managed to do some modelling:

today I dropped a chip in the Ixion, only a lokpilot so she's mute.. for now. I will get a sound chip, soon, so she can make noises like her little (new) stable mate. Anyways decided it was time to make both a little less out of the box , so while I'm waiting for paint to dry heres what they look like for now (Yes the builders plate on the Hudswell is slightly skewed.. as is the name plate.. tho not quite as bad.. Cyano set before I could get it spot on 😒)

Still got the windows masked btw, It will come off once weathering and varnishing has been finished.. they are much much too clean for my liking at present, but at least they dont have that almost garish red everywhere

Also received the final 2 points needed to complete the trackwork on the shelf , point motors are on their way so wont be long before it all gets fixed down. so far runs ok, but the curved point in the foreground isnt proving a reliable contact, so the sooner I get the blades hardwired, and frog switched the better.. Ive also painted the foam core.. only had one cat walk over it while the paint was wet (the white one of course) so not a total disaster 😹

20230725_150908.jpg

20230725_143432.jpg

20230725_143344.jpg

• Like 5

And basically done, time to get the crews out of the pub...maybe they should be doing less drinking and a bit more cleaning ....

There may have been an oops or two that may need revisiting.. be very care filling your bunkers with coal.. and diluted PVA.. they may not be watertight 
And looks like I'll be doing something else for a little bit... beats messing around washing a J94 with acetone.. (Still will but not this week)

20230726_180205.jpg

20230726_180158.jpg

20230726_180313.jpg

20230726_180253.jpg

20230726_180248.jpg

20230726_180227.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Those are excellent. I've never been a fan of either loco or the model to be brutally honest but that's certainly elevated the slightly toy like appearance to something pretty convincing!

Shame on you! These tiny South Leeds locos are cute enough to have their own YouTube channel.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

And, more importantly, I successfully completed my first locomotive build: ex LNER N9 69429 built from an original O7 kit ( yes it is that old!) .  To complete the model some parts were appropriated from a Connoisseur G5, and the chimney is an LG casting.  I fitted her with slaters sprung hornblocks and with an RG7, she has power to spare. Testing with a temporary Lokpilot, she has to date managed 5 whitemetal ABS kitbuilt wagons without hesitation, and no doubt will handle a few more with ease.

The only real issue I am having is the pickups on the lead driver not quite engaging the tyre of the original  slaters press fit driver (they seem to be running on the demarcation of the spokes, which seems to be slightly proud of the tyre), so I may have to replace the plungers with wipers at some point

20231018_181150.jpg

20231021_143137.jpg

20231018_181206.jpg

• Like 8

One of my 15" Hunslets came with a similar problem. There Slaters plungers were smack in line with rim insulation on the JPL wheels .

The solution was to elongate the hole in the frame and resecure the plunger with epoxy.

Sadly this means disturbing the push on wheels......

2 hours ago, doilum said:

One of my 15" Hunslets came with a similar problem. There Slaters plungers were smack in line with rim insulation on the JPL wheels .

The solution was to elongate the hole in the frame and resecure the plunger with epoxy.

Sadly this means disturbing the push on wheels......

Fortunately being sprung means I can drop the wheels out without disturbing the quartering, but that is a solution I hadnt thought of. Might see what I can do today, thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another extended build addition to the locomotive fleet, a Midland 3F, built from an Alan Gibson/Maygib kit dating back to the early 80's, when the tender, and some body work was commenced. Now fitted with an 1833 driving through a slaters gearbox. She'll get sound as soon as I can arrange funds for it, and needs glazing /water glass fitted before she is properly complete (I'm thinking of seeing if I can make said glass from clear). I chose 43449 as she was fitted with a rivetted cab, and being  allocated to Normanton for much of the 50's fits within my loose North Eastern/Yorkshire/Tyneside 1950's theme (not that its likely she ever encountered a GWR ROD, or my N9 in real life)

20231126_121021.jpg

20231126_120926.jpg

• Like 4