Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How much has the exhibition world changed since the 2019 Market Deeping/Stamford model railway show?

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would ask the question because I remember people were saying at the time that the vandalism at the show would make people tighten up security/raise insurance premiums for shows like this. I know Covid took away a few years away from these improvements from happening. How has your local exhibition/model railway show changed? Or are people treating the 2019 incident like a one-off and it would never happen to them?

Disclaimer: This is not intended to talk about the vandalism or the perpetrators of said vandalism - in case someone says that this is throwing a stone in a pond.  

I understand costs to traders have increased, and payments to invited layouts have gone down, but how much of that is due to other events unrelated to vandalism is open to debate.

I imagine exhibitors are more likely to remove as many valuable items as possible when leaving overnight, but that is pretty limited. 

Post COVID I understand attendance numbers are back to what they were so hopefully income is forthcoming. 

Theft from exhibitions is not a new think, one Scottish club lost at least one model ship in the 1970s, and the chap with the long sleeve enveloping a train or wagon is not unknown. 

• Friendly/supportive 1