Great Eastern Water Troughs : When were they taken out of service/Removed?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Do any of the RMweb members know when the two water troughs on the former Great Eastern main line, Liverpool St to Norwick line, (Halifax Junction Ipswich & Tvetshall) were taken out of use and removed?

Fingers crossed

Bob C

I put together an article on GE water troughs in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal 109, January 2002.

20230616_1711221.jpg.16bfc4317fb12a50e5d7afe08890e240.jpg

At that time I didn't have dates for the removal of the troughs, but there were follow up letters in Journals 111, concluding the Ipswich troughs went in 1962, after the end of steam traction.

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulG said:

I put together an article on GE water troughs in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal 109, January 2002.

20230616_1711221.jpg.16bfc4317fb12a50e5d7afe08890e240.jpg

At that time I didn't have dates for the removal of the troughs, but there were follow up letters in Journals 111, concluding the Ipswich troughs went in 1962, after the end of steam traction.

Paul

Paul

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question. The reason l was asking was to assist an ex BR driver, who's writing about his career driving on the GE from Cleaner to Traction inspector during the 1960s to 1990s. He also curates a local Railway museum in the Harwich area, but due to ill heath he's been unable to attend and maintain this museum since Covid.

Once again many many thanks Paul

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Paul

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question. The reason l was asking was to assist an ex BR driver, who's writing about his career driving on the GE from Cleaner to Traction inspector during the 1960s to 1990s. He also curates a local Railway museum in the Harwich area, but due to ill heath he's been unable to attend and maintain this museum since Covid.

Once again many many thanks Paul

I'm guessing you are helping Bob, who I knew quiet well in the 20 years I was GERS Journal Editor. He will have a copy of the Journals I mentioned and also please pass on my kind regards. 

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PaulG said:

I'm guessing you are helping Bob, who I knew quiet well in the 20 years I was GERS Journal Editor. He will have a copy of the Journals I mentioned and also please pass on my kind regards. 

Paul.

Hi Paul 

The gent l m assisting is Bob Clow, however Bob is not in the best of health theses day, so your help is very much appreciated

Cheers

Bob C