New Irish Railway book

leslie10646

DS002031.jpg.751bce4e26ae4bfdf94ec0d2ece4137d.jpg

DS002033.jpg.c26bcfbb4aab2d3f020e4c7074a1b338.jpg

A mere 352 pages, with exquisitely reproduced photos (almost one on every page) of both the Railway and the area it served. Michael has made use of research done by his late father, the famous PB Whitehouse who produced a slim hiistory with help from John Powell. Others have followed them including David Rowlands and Cork's own Walter McGrath. The photos are by "everybody who was anybody" in the railway photography field up to 1955.

At sixty pounds, it is easily the most expensive Irish railway book to date. However, if you want a copy, PM me and I may be able to soften the blow, especially if I can hand you a copy, rather than post it. I'll supply post free to UK only -  although I understand that a bookshop in Tralee should have copies. And I could bring some to Blackrock in the Autumn.

Needles to say, I haven't read it - I have two other new Irish railway books to finish first!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I am part way through reading it at present and it's a splendid book.  There is not just historical info but includes anecdotes from passengers, locals and (well known) enthusiasts who were on the cattle trains.

• 8 months later...

I will have a few copies of this remarkable book on sale at the Bangor Exhibition next weekend. Also the other Lightmoor Press books covering the Irish Narrow Gauge.  Proceeds to the RPSI's "171 Appeal".