Lifting section on two levels

• RMweb Gold

Hi

now the woodwork has started on my rebuild, I’m planning a lifting section across an outward opening doorway. There will be three level parallel  tracks crossing it, consisting of the two main lines at +50mm (versus datum) and a branch line at +200mm. So a 150mm difference in level. I plan on all tracks crossing the baseboard joins at 90 degrees.

So I guess two options. 
1. a single lifting section with two different levels

2. two separate lifting sections, each at the respective level.

Any thoughts which? What are pros and cons? If 1, what impact does that have on how hinges are mounted, and clearance at track ends as section is lifted/closed?

thanks.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere on my O gauge layout thread - see link in my signature - there are pictures of my lifting flap. It too has two levels and none of the tracks are at right angles to the board edge.

Its a single board, more by virtue of how to do otherwise when its folded back when not in use than for any other reason.

With the benefit of experience in operating the layout I'd probably have preferred two separate boards so that I could just operate one level if I wished to.

I do have a portable backscene that I can fit to the board if I feel like it but think that I've only done that a couple of times so far. Two different level boards might require you to have two different backscenes if you want to go that far.

The layout is in a garage and the access flap is across an inwardly opening door. I will never have the flap in place when the door is closed - and the door's seldom closed when I'm in there as it is - the garage being an integral part of the house.

1 hour ago, ITG said:

Any thoughts which? What are pros and cons? If 1, what impact does that have on how hinges are mounted, and clearance at track ends as section is lifted/closed?

Although my layout has 2-levels (with 2 separate ramps) I kept clear of any lifting sections. However, if I had to use any lifting sections I'd do them separately. I can image getting the geometry / fit of just one being hard, so a twin would be beyond my skills. Plus, as @Ray H points out, with separate lifting sections, you can operate one while the other is out-of-use. I think the only endearing 'feature' of a twin lift out section is that it'd 'look' cool.

But then, why use hinges at all? What's wrong with a simple 'lift out' section that self-aligns (with dowels or other means, that include electrical connections) at each end, and no hinges to 'hide' in the scenery? In such an arrangement, remember to have the last ~500mm of track either side of the 'lift out' electrically powered 'with' the lift out section. That way, it's harder (?) to run a train into the abyss when the lift out has been removed! The only disadvantage I see is the necessity of somewhere (safe ...) to put the lift out when it's removed.

Ian