Query re: Ettinsmoor station building

I'm almost utterly convinced now that this station building has little to nothing of the feel one might see in Cumbria. I purchased the kit two years ago (Hornby's Dunster station) and reclad it with random stone sheathing, but didn't understand the strong GWR architectural lines I think it has.

Is there any hope at all that this structure might somehow be appropriate? Any changes or modifications I can make to make it look less GWR-ish and more appropriate for a former light railway now part of the London Midland region of late 1950's BR? What about a plausible story?

Or is my better option finding something else (a Skaledale Midland type to modify perhaps), or perhaps there's a good Midland or Caledonian type station kit?

Thanks for any input or comments!

4630134815_b7f7e2edee_b.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

Well Paul, Cumbrian architecture is actually fairly unpretentious for the most part. Looking at the stonework pattern on your building, it isn't a million miles from Lakeland slate although that is generally a dark greeny grey colour, livened by painted window surrounds in many cases. Those chimney tops pretty much yell out 'GWR' though and replacing them with something plainer and simpler would bring your building much closer to the norm in these parts. Slate construction is something mainly associate with the southern half of the county, although Cockermouth, Keswick and the small villages around Skiddaw make use of slate construction too. North and East of the fells, sandstone and limestone are the traditional choice and for protection from the ravages of the Cumbrian weather are often further covered by rendering, which is itself often painted over. Door and window recesses are generally plain, straight-lines like your model, so you shouldn't have to really do anything on that score.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. I've not been too wild about the chimneys, either. They've seemed out of place, but vaguely so -- and now I know why, thanks to you. So that's a good project to tackle.smile.gif I've plenty of random stone sheeting left over.

Glad I resisted the temptation to add the typical GWR awning over the platform that came with the kit!

Having posted this, I think I'm beginning to understand why progress on the station building came to such a halt. Something(s) just wasn't quite right.

You couldn't spin it 180 degrees, could you? Judging by this picture the other face might work better. I'm not familiar with Lakeland vernacular, but the stone mullions somehow look right.

Hmm, hadn't considered that; interesting idea. Although according to the "Instructions" the side facing the track is the correct side, especially with the "Gents" door being on the far left. (Signs designating this salient point will be installed at a future date!)

Also, the gabled roof appears to be the main entrance.

• RMweb Premium

A darker shade of grey for the stonework as suggested by Max would I think help, quite often slate built structures have mortar lines darker than the stone they're built from. I'm not sure about the capping strips on either gable end, from what I recall of Cumbrian architecture, slates overhanging the roof would be more typical. Overall though I don't think the building looks at all bad, and with a little further tweaking would fit well with your scenario.

I don't know if you've already found these two sites, The Cumbrian Railways Association Photo Library and the Oversands Photo Gallery, but they both are fine resources for the railways of Cumbria.

Dear Paul

Dunster station was not built by the Great Western but by the independent Minehead Railway - the GWR didn't absorb it until after it had opened for traffic. Judging by your photo, its not typical of GWR architecture at all, so I wouldn't worry about using it on your Cumbrian based layout. I have to say, though, that your goods shed (presumably the Ratio kit) is much more typically GWR, with its wooden infill over the track ...

David C

I'd agree the goods shed shouts GWR more than the station building, but I don't think the latter's chimney pots are a great problem. Don't know much about Cumbrian railway buildings, but it seems to me that stone was not a prerequisite, so I wouldn't rule out brick. Window styles seem to be more critical. For example, here's pic of Kentside (a lovely layout) - but for the windows, the station is very reminiscent of Didcot, Newbury and Southampton architecture. Gables do seem a feature of Cumbrian station styles, as in Aspatria.

Thank you all, for your valuable observations and comments! smile.gif I've been mulling over darker stone colors for the station building, complemented with an even darker mortar color, a slate roof for the station building and goods shed, and possible some gables for the station building.

The goods shed is definitely GWR in origin, but the Ettinsmoor Light Railway's history -- it having been an independent operation for many years until just before nationalization -- gives me wiggle room to explain that away: The ELR first directors liked what they saw on the GWR so much, they wanted a goods shed built just like it!

Archived