Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Bluish TMD

Phil Mason

The object of the layout was to provide a test bed for pantographs and catenary, something new to me. 

It started from a 2x1 framework left over from an old fireplace so something like 'Phoenix Jn' was mooted but with Reddish depot serving the Manchester Woodhead line, the idea came to make a little loco shed serving diesels and electrics. Being set in the BR blue era (c1980), it became known as 'Bluish' instead. 

0E4BE990-401E-4A82-B16A-4EF0D36CAB02.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Having seen this superb little layout in the flesh, on the exhibition circuit, I have to say that the pictures capture the essence of both the layout and the traction very well indeed. And it is always inspiring to see overhead line equipment modelled.

And since I know this fact I hope you dont mind me saying on here that it is truly inspiring to see 100% scratch build traction, most impressive. The EM1s are awesome....... I rely on Lincoln Locos for my traction, almost rtr in comparison with this fantastic roster.

Thanks for posting

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

Thanks for your kind comments TT100 but 100% scratch built? Not quite! 

One of them is, I suppose but that's a dummy, half of on an airbraked pair. The thee working locos have three different proprietary chassis underneath. They are Arnold, Piko and Berlinerbahnen. Each has advantages and disadvantages. 
The 47 has yet another one - Tillig and a rather elderly cl50, which might make an appearance, has a Roco power unit but these are rather hard to find. 

I wish I had your patience and finishing skills, Your weathering just looks the bees. Mine is more accidental - often the result of dodgy painting (but don't tell anyone!). 

So, no professional modelling skills on show here but the postings are more along the lines of if I can do something that hopefully looks OK, then it might inspire others to jump in. 

P. 

Edited by Phil Mason
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 3

Sorry, I guess that the mechs are various proprietary kit bashed you fit, as you just clarified above, but I suppose I meant to say the bodies are scratch built. Well, still impressive to me anyhow.

Thanks for you compliments regarding my finishing work. But I suppose we all have different areas we get into and improve on. And that is good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bluish will be appearing at St John's exhibition in Trent Vale (Stoke) ST4 6SB on Sat/Sun 29/30 July. 
As well as the iconic class 76 electric locos, the layout will also feature some rather tasty diesel traction, demonstrating the 'state of the art' in 3mm scale. 
We hope to see some of you there. 
Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great looking layout, Given nothing shouted about it is hard to establish scale and gauge used. To me the mark of a great layout.  It is only comments from TT100 - itself a give away that this is a 3mm layout!  So congratulations on showing the premier scale in such a good light.  Despite the old call of its just a box the EM1 and EM2 locos are a mass of subtle curves - and a mass of grills that in any scale a good model is a target to achieve.  These look the part which must be satisfying.  I will miss the show but hope you have fun and can promote the 3mm world.

Robert       

• Agree 1

Thanks for your kind comments, Robert. Im

hoping the layout will appear in Model Rail at some point. Alternatively it'll be 'in the flesh' at York next year. 

I've also got small exhibition layouts in N gauge and 00 but I like working in 3mm the best. I'm just in the process of creating another dummy loco as a 'failure' to push around the depot with the shunter. The bodies were cast in resin for me from a Plastikard master but 3D printing is taking over nowadays. I've also done an EM2 but, being out of period, it only makes an occasional appearance. The odd AC electric does come sometimes, as they did occasionally at Reddish to use the wheel lathe. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your kind comments, Robert. Im

hoping the layout will appear in Model Rail at some point. Alternatively it'll be 'in the flesh' at York next year. 

I've also got small exhibition layouts in N gauge and 00 but I like working in 3mm the best. I'm just in the process of creating another dummy loco as a 'failure' to push around the depot with the shunter. The bodies were cast in resin for me from a Plastikard master but 3D printing is taking over nowadays. I've also done an EM2 but, being out of period, it only makes an occasional appearance. The odd AC electric does come sometimes, as they did occasionally at Reddish to use the wheel lathe. 

60C19CA2-82E5-46C0-92FB-0F101D1BE26E.jpeg

501F5F06-E3CE-4CAD-8A20-F1773905A0BB.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks Clive, but not much talent really. I've always maintained that finishing is the real key and I'm not patient enough to do that well. Getting the main body acceptable is fairly straightforward because Plastikard (other polystyrene substances are available!) is so easy to work. It's like DIY Airfix kits but a lot easier because if you lose or break a small part you can just make another!  
The key to scratch building, in my opinion, is to work off a 1:1 plan so you can compare your work with the drawing as you go; file a bit here, add a bit there etc. Class 76 production line from a couple of years ago here and another scratch build from some time ago peeping out of the shed (I must see to that nasty gap under the shed wall!) 

1E11943B-7FE1-4A45-A50F-A6EDFA4C23C2.jpeg

3A82DFF5-5463-4233-985A-B6BFB4A47A83.jpeg

Edited by Phil Mason
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

You are too modest Phil ,i do quite a bit of scratch building myself and you are correct with a good 1.1 plan or a set of scale drawings you are half way their ,plastic sheet is a wonderful material to work with,i love your HS 4000 ,a class 506 would look nice with your EM1and EM2 fleet ,you are a very inspirational model maker !

• Agree 1

Thanks. I guess that's the point of RMweb - to try and inspire each other. Having a go and creating something is what's important and getting all to blend in, if possible. 
Yes, a 506! Somebody else will do that hopefully... But I have done a 123/4 hybrid set for when we build a proper layout. 

• Like 1

And thanks also to Hunslet. It's great to be able to create something a bit different. The possibilities in 3mm are endless - life's not long enough to go all the layouts we'd like! But this is where the 'shuffling planks' come it. 

• Like 2

Bluish is on tour at the mo, St Johns Railex, Trent Vale, Stoke. After the first day of successful operations, both pure Reddish stock an also periods of free for all with stock guesting off High Peak Junction, a great day. Looking forward to day 2.

A few pics to give a flavour.

IMG_20230729_104010_7332.jpg.3fa00f868b3d75c3b00000313c2c75a5.jpg

Interloper, 5333, a scratch build 26 by Phil Mason waits for the "off", one of his scratch build 76s lurks behind.

IMG_20230729_115448_5052.jpg.c521a25bb3cf3b74fdc0b1b2ff99f71d.jpg

More of Phils 76s, and his scratch build 47. My 2 class 25s, both Lincoln Locos on an awayday from High Peak Jn.

IMG_20230729_140907_1472.jpg.d3dabcd9f98929b672f3cc11fc5a7f55.jpg

What it is all about..... A gaggle of Phils 76s and my 24.

IMG_20230729_141235_2742.jpg.c8f6ca5d3309107ee1f417c515468305.jpg

Bluish... Reddish more like....😉

Still chance to see the layout on Sun 30 July, St Johns School, Wheatly Avenue, Trent Vale, Stoke on Trent.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Why is there a class 76 on the refuelling road? 😁

With the ETD side of the depot clogged up with 76s, the shed foreman had a problem, 76047 had been declared a failure at Guide Bridge and had been dragged back to Reddish sorry Bluish, by one of the diesels. With nowhere else to go, they decided to dump it on the FP and wait for all the 76s that had come off exam to clear off and make some space. Note that 76047 has ben modelled with pans down, it is a dummy loco and represents a demic to be shunted round the depot (honestly). That being said, we were also just having fun with the camera......

A separate request has been received from the other 3mm layout folk at the show (Delyn Y Coed),  where are the class 20 pics?, Well, better make amends then.

IMG_20230729_131505_7612.jpg.8e8c3c93311dd4de2db898844dfdfbe9.jpg

20175 and 20154 arrive with snow ploughs from Tinsley, to be stabled at Bluish ready for winter....

IMG_20230729_122100_3893.jpg.ffffeba662c2d2b719c9274a583a4b68.jpg

After dropping off the ploughs, they were paired up again in conventional fashion and dropped back onto the FP while the crew have a brew before running back light to Tinsley. By this time, 25071 pitched up on the FP actually for fuel. In the background, 5333 is a long way from Inverness....... Well lost I would say 😉

Hope this hits the spot Jim!!!

Cheers

TT100.

• Like 7

Some more pictures from day 2, Sunday 30th July. Hope Phil does not mind.

DSCF6599.jpg.b405de4bd230602a5b245b23338fd8eb.jpg

76010, 016 & 022 making Bluish look like Reddish.

DSCF6598.jpg.cf969ce09223251abff3ae4369db0bc7.jpg

25's and a 76. A typical scene.

DSCF6592.jpg.b05ceaddd26b9fa19593ea0bdeb35047.jpg

Happy hour! The tech centre baby deltic finds itself on shed. Must be waiting for the ground lathe.....

DSCF6602.jpg.d379c4abe7d289a989a1fda3dd2ed421.jpg

Happy hour 2. Must be trouble at Newton Heath for a DMU to have to come here for a top up.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It was a successful (and enjoyable) trip out at the weekend to St John's Trent Vale (Stoke). Thanks to organiser (John Cox) and team, especially caterers and providers of all important tea urn. Also to TT100 for his time and helping out with diesel roster, especially the Sulzers, without which the non-lecci side would look a little meagre. 

The layout performed well, with recent alterations to the fiddle yard (finished moments before the show opened) proving to be worthwhile. 

The next outing will be York next Easter, so plenty of time for tweaks or additions to the fleet. 

In the meantime, it's hoped the layout will appear in Model Rail at some point so 'watch this space!'  

• Friendly/supportive 1