St. Oswalds. A Dumfriesshire branchline off of the Port Road/Stranraer Line.

• RMweb Gold

Dumfries shed had a number of BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0's allocated for working on the Port Road and surrounding area. I decided modelling one of the prototypes would be good for the St. Oswald's locomotive roster.

I acquired one of the newly released models of preserved 76084 with shortened style Darlington lining on the tender but wanted to model Dumfries shed's 76073 which appears on many pictures on the line.

To correct the tender I obtained an early crest fully lined tender bodyshell from the Bachmann Spares Department. 

Using T-Cut I removed the early BR crests. Then Fox Transfers late crests were applied to the tender sides.

Workbench Aug/Sept 2023

A false floor was added to the tender bunker then crushed coal was added and set with Johnson's Kleer.

The cabside numbers were also gently removed with T-Cut.  Once more Fox Transfers BR locomotive numbers were donned. As were electrification warning signs.

Workbench Aug/Sept 2023

These were all sealed with Tamiya Satin Varnish applied by airbrush. 

The oversized smokebox numberplate was carefully removed with a scalpel and the area made good. A new door strap was made up from Microstrip.

Then the cab roof and smokebox were sprayed in with Tamiya Flat Black. 

Steve at Railtec made up a set of his superb 3D printed smokebox door/and shed code plate sets. I inked in the edges of the numberplate with a black Sharpie marker pen. These were fixed insitu with matt enamel varnish. The SC came from Fox although Railtec do them.

Workbench Aug/Sept 2023

Here is 76073 completed and ready for addition of the detailing pack and lightly weathering.

Workbench Aug/Sept 2023

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1