Beginnings of 2mm finescale journey - layout started.

mudmagnet

8 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

After joining the 2mm Association I've never looked back. Best thing I ever did in the modelling world.

Couldn't agree more with @VRBroadgauge. In my case that was in 1969!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of progress on a small diorama, laid the short length of track, painted and weathered before being ballasted.

I've taken the plunge and submitted my application to join the 2mm Association and will then get a few bits ordered. Got a few vague ideas for a small layout, but will want to get a diesel to convert soon.

Also been scaling down some of my 3D printed items to 2mm, including wheelbarrows which have come out exceptionally well.

20230710_130034.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, John57sharp said:

Welcome to the tiny side @mudmagnet

look forward to seeing how all this progresses.

cheers

John

Membership submitted, so hopefully will be ordering a few track items and a couple more wagon kits soon!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well ordered a few track parts and points, as well as a couple more mineral wagons and DG couplings. Hopefully will start looking at a small layout in the next couple of weeks. Just need to get a suitable diesel loco for conversion .....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

Have a crack at the Association's Class 08/11 kit. I'm currently putting one together. It's a very nice model.

Yes, on the list to get, but will probably get a rtr loco to convert first and get an 08 later.

Fantastic service, first order received today!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always feel that one of the newer model Farish bo-bo's 20/24/25 are an easy and excellent way into 2FS because they are DCC ready if that's your fancy plus the running quality gives a useful benchmark for future builds. The best bit though is that using drop-in wheels means that if later on you want to move them on then the original wheels can easily be re-fitted.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for a 24 here - my first conversion and it took roughly 10 mins start to finish.  If you do take that route, watch the contacts don't get on the wrong side of the new wheels - once you get a crease in it, it can add 2 mins to the conversion.  Ask me how I know....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I purchased a GF class 37 at the weekend and replacement have been ordered, so conversion hopefully will get completed at the weekend. Need to make a start on the D&G couplings as well. 

Assembled one buffer kit, have another couple to do.

Working out a small track plan progressing, having completed three point kits and a few lengths of track. Again hoping to make a start on a small baseboard at the weekend. Thinking around 1m long x 200mm wide, so will fit onto a shelf in my office at home.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• mudmagnet changed the title to Beginnings of 2mm finescale journey - layout started.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2023 at 19:24, Alex TM said:

Hi,

I am quite curious about 2mm scale so looking forward to see how this develops.  Has anything happened to the layout siunce August?

Thanks, and regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

Sadly progress has stalled due to various reasons. I had hoped to get some more work done of Christmas holiday period, but nothing further. I really must get back to it!

Richard

On 04/12/2023 at 14:14, RayF said:

Look forward to seeing more on this. Thanks for sharing

Many thanks.

As a postscript, my plans have changed a little and decided that will probably simplify the scenic plans. More to follow.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After many months, I've made a far bit of progress. Fiddle yard sector plate made, but need to lay the track. Point operation to be sorted, but I have a plan!

Painted and ballasted the track. Need to clean up and make sure that everything runs through ok.

I will be taking along to RMWeb SWAG at Taunton in less than two weeks for display and possibly run a loco back and forwards! Will be part of my Mudmagnet Models stand with my 3D printed items.

Hope to make a start on mocking up a building or two as well.

Photos to follow,

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1